The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Winning race horses from non-winning bloodlines (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/winning-race-horses-non-winning-bloodlines-86590/)

Waimea 05-14-2011 05:59 PM

Winning race horses from non-winning bloodlines

I just want to know if there is a website that gives information on horses that have become champions without having a champion or winning bloodline? Can a "regular" non-registered horse ever be a champion or is it all only about bloodline?
Posted via Mobile Device

lilruffian 05-14-2011 07:08 PM

Well if you are talking racehorses specifically, they cannot race unless they are registered. I don't know of any sites or names offhand, but there are several famous racehorses who didn't have incredible bloodlines.
You dont find that alot nowadays because the TB's with the best lines tend to go to better training barns so they end up in better races with better chances than the ones who arent so well bred. Racehorses cost alot of money, so buyers like to have something to go off of when deciding.

Waimea 05-14-2011 09:04 PM

Thanks for the response. My gelding is from Bold Ruler. I aquired him because I had to put down my other gelding and did not want my mare to be alone and wanted to help her with the transition. I am not very knowledgable with all the legalities of the horse business. I am just having a discussion with my friend and don't completely buy the argument that you can't get a champion unless they have that in their bloodlines. Since there really isn't a website with this info. Can you please give me a few names of the horses you mentioned won but didn't have the best bloodlines and maybe I can get some more info that way. Thanks again :)

Waimea 05-14-2011 09:47 PM

Here's a pic of Pheonix my gelding on the left, my son Jordan and my mare Mystery

http://m.facebook.com/confirmcontact...39499&refid=13
Posted via Mobile Device

lilruffian 05-15-2011 09:21 PM

Well it might not seem like many champions have poor lines as EVERY racehorse out there is related to someone famous, but it all depends on how you look at it. Experts and racing people all believe that Seattle Slew had very poor bloodlines. He is a son of Bold Reasoning (who is a grand-son of Bold Ruler) and although his race record isn't bad, to be a real champion a horse has to win the big races, not just small allowance races.
To the average person, Seattle Slew's pedigree would look pretty good, but to breeders back then it was not.

Spastic_Dove 05-15-2011 09:28 PM

Bloodlines for your discipline are helpful. You wouldn't use a Hanoverian for a champion reining horse and you wouldn't ask quarter horse to do a GP dressage test.

Bloodlines give you a good set up for success and let you understand what you are working with ahead of time to a small extent. Some lines are known for having difficult horses, others are known for having horses that are mellow and easy to work with.

The best breedings are between two well-built horses who compliment eachother and have been successful in their own right. It doesn't mean they will throw all champions or another horse couldn't be a champion, but chances are higher when you are selectively breeding to get what you want (ie: a champion dressage horse. or whatever).

When it comes to showing, registry is an issue for certain things. With AQHA if you want to be the next western pleasure champion, your horse is going to need to be a quarter horse. Racehorses need to be registered to the jockey club (or AQHA or Arab registry), etc.

But excluding those factors, what is MOST important is heart, and confirmation.

If you have a horse that is built for the sport and has the drive and heart to do it, you're at a better place than a horse with a good pedigree who hates his job.

Waimea 05-18-2011 04:57 PM

Thanks you so much for your imput. It's much clearer to me now. I agree the heart of a horse or any living breathing thing is a huge part of who they are.
Posted via Mobile Device