The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Running...with horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/running-horse-86623/)

Indigosblue 05-15-2011 02:30 AM

Running...with horse?

hi!
does anyone here ever go running with their horse? I've been running with the OTTB mare i lease, it's so much fun:D She's currently injured and i get so dizzy when lunging i figured we might as well both get a workout. She just trots behind me...we have an outdoor track (QH track) so it's nice. Anyone else do this or am i just crazy?:-P

BlondieHorseChic 05-15-2011 02:57 AM

I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO!!!!!!!!!!! i don't have a place of my own to be able to go running with a horse but i like to run (esp with my dog) and unfortunatly riding doesn't give me that "rush" running sometimes does. i think it would be good to do. just watch out for hooves. horses and dogs are very different running buddies id assume.

apachewhitesox 05-15-2011 04:34 AM

I have done it a bit in the paddock with my quarterhorse sammy and its pretty fun though you have to be careful because if you go faster then a walk with him he gets all excited and jumps around a bit. I would like to take him out on a trail and do it but everywhere around me the trails are much less awkward if I'm just riding him.

PaintHorseMares 05-15-2011 05:41 AM

I've taken our mares for a nice jog on the road quite a bit in the past when I only had 15-30 minutes to spare. It's actually a great ground work exercise to have them work off your shoulder, matching your pace (similar to what you may see in a showmanship class).

equiniphile 05-15-2011 09:48 AM

I do. It's great leading practice, having the horse on a loose rope, by your side, and keeping at your speed.

Skipsfirstspike 05-15-2011 10:00 AM

Yes! I used to go jogging with my friend's mini stallion. It was good for both of us, we both got exercise, and he was too small for me to 'cheat' by riding him home like I would do with my QH.

beauforever23 05-15-2011 10:12 AM

I do it a whole lot. I run around in the ring and Beau trots behind me or he trots along side of me. Sometimes if I have time I put my halter on beau and my lead rope and we go running on the trails.

3dayeventer 05-15-2011 12:04 PM

i dont do this but it ssounds fun

AQHA13 05-15-2011 12:12 PM

I love to do this on the trails! I ride for a while then jog, it's great a great way for her to learn how to control her pace... Then when I get lazy and tired I can hop right back on!! :) haha

Tennessee 05-15-2011 12:25 PM

I do it with my gelding High Five. I can't do it with my mare, Molly Jo, though because she gets a little too excited and tries to race me. lol.