The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Just a bit disturbed by info. Please tell me this is not the norm. (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/just-bit-disturbed-info-please-tell-86632/)

Secondtimearound 05-15-2011 08:59 AM

Just a bit disturbed by info. Please tell me this is not the norm.

While researching the many farms and stables here in Northern Illinois, I kept hearing about a dark side. Then I was given the book"Red Blood," which was based on activities here involving horses amd insurance fraud. More than two dozen were indicted back in the 90's for the use of electrocution and even crowbars on horses that weren't measuring up to get insurance money for new horses. There have also been many scandals in overpricing horses and false partnerships and high kickbacks for some agents. What is bothering me is that many of these people are still in practice and operating farms here today. Everyone stays mum about it, never mentioning names. In fact, one key person owns a farm that sponsors bigger shows here and is known to charge double for lessons (100+ per lesson). It's like high school in that many "people " go to him because their friends do, so its the posh place to go. But I seriously wonder if they know about him as this person makes finding info on his farm and his involvement with it hard to find. Now That I have begun to realize some of these bigger farms were involved, I am having a hard time feeling as if I can trust anyone, especially when it comes to the purchase price of a horse and those working with them. Sorry for the long post. Just trying to comprehend the info and understand why they are still very much a part of the industry.

gypsygirl 05-15-2011 09:36 AM

are you looking at HJ barns ?

its true about all the scandals, insurance money, etc. yes some of those people invovled are still around. as far as i know, nobody is invovled with that anymore. it goes further back than the 90s, i know some names, but i wont mention them on a public forum. theres another book about it too, but i cant remember the name right now.

upnover 05-16-2011 01:27 PM

Are you talking about the book HOT Blood? Yep, pretty disgusting isn't it? I wouldn't say people are all too quiet or ignorant about it. Check out the forums of Chronicle of the Horse. -mainly the rated show crowd. There are still people there who were directly affected or even ride with some of the people who were involved. There have even been one or two posts on there where people have said that they didn't care b/c so-and-so was a good trainer,. had a good eye for a horse, or what have you. Pretty sickening IMO.

I"m in no way saying this isn't terrible, but to think the horse industry is void of scandal and fraud isn't realistic. It's a business just like anything else. There are plenty of money hungry ethically devoid jerks everywhere.

Shasta1981 05-16-2011 07:02 PM

Just do your due diligence before committing to a trainer. Are there crappy people out there? Sadly, yes. But there are also good, smart, considerate people who deeply care about the welfare of the animals they work with and take a lot of time to teach their pupils properly. It's not too hard to find you just have to take the time to ask around.

Is the situation you've described the norm? I would say no.

CJ82Sky 05-16-2011 08:08 PM

wel said shasta