The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Sorry another color question, thanks for the patience... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/sorry-another-color-question-thanks-patience-86640/)

momo3boys 05-15-2011 01:24 PM

Sorry another color question, thanks for the patience...

3 Attachment(s)
OK here is a practical one instead of Hypothetical. My brothers mare is pregnant and I am trying to understand what color the foal might be. I have looked at the website color predictor but I am not sure what all the options mean.

THe sire is Black, but his dad was a black Roan and his mom was a Sorrel. The mare is champagne (not sure which one). Her dad is a champagne but darker and I have no idea what her mom was but I am guessing she had champagne too because of the mare's coloring. What options should I put in on that color predictor website?

Here are some pictures. I don't know how to separate pics with text so hopefully I will get these in the right order:
The first one is the sire of the foal.
The second is the mare in foal.
The third is the mare's sire.

Poseidon 05-16-2011 01:06 AM

You already know the sire of said foal is black, so that fills your Sire box in the calculator.

The mare's sire is definitely an amber champagne and she looks to be also, just very light, but it would be easier to determine if you had a picture of her dam.

Also for the calculator, put "heterozygous" for what you can rather than "Unknown" because it'll affect the results.

CrazyHorseArtist 05-16-2011 08:32 AM

The mother looks like she may have a chance at being silver as well.

I'd say go with just Black for the Father (but it's hard to rule out Roan because I've seen Roan horses with little to no roaning), and the mother is an Amber With possible Silver. (A Silver Amber for comparison)

Poseidon 05-16-2011 03:59 PM

Actually, she looks more like Amber Champagne + Cream.

momo3boys 05-16-2011 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, so now what is next? Entering that information gets me this:

Poseidon 05-16-2011 04:25 PM

Sire: Put "Red Carrier"

Dam: Red Carrier and Heterozygous Agouti.

I'm not sure why, but if you put Unknown and then put Heterozygous if you don't know, it changes the results dramatically.

momo3boys 05-16-2011 04:40 PM

Thank you Poseidon. The big change is whether she is double Ch. That's makes a huge difference. If the mare is a ChCh then we will get some type of Champagne. If not, we could get ANYTHING! lol

Poseidon 05-16-2011 04:45 PM

You're mostly likely going to get a black based colour, since the sire is black and she is either bay + champagne or buckskin + champagne. Whether she has cream or not would make a difference too.

When is she due?

CrazyHorseArtist 05-17-2011 07:58 AM

If there was any question about her being creme It would be Classic Creme. She's very dark even for a dark Amber Creme.

momo3boys 05-17-2011 08:49 AM

Poseidon, my guess is Bay+Champagne. There weren't any buckskins in the herd, or any mentions of them. I don't even know if a Rocky can be a buckskin? She is due the end of June, beginning of July. (I don't remember the day she escaped her fence to visit the stallion...She wasn't my brother's then so I didn't make a note of it)

Crazy Horse, What is the difference between creme and champagne? When she is brushed and clean she is almost white. Just the mane and tail are dark, and she has hazel eyes, if that helps.