The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Barrel Training 8yr. old Mare??? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/barrel-training-8yr-old-mare-86673/)

JessPintoMare 05-15-2011 07:10 PM

Barrel Training 8yr. old Mare???

My pinto mare is eight and hasn't been worked with much in the last few years. I've never really got her to open up and really run. And she's overweight. So I'm wondering if its worth my time this summer to train her to barrels. Any tips??? Everything helps!:)

JessPintoMare 05-15-2011 07:32 PM

Come on! Help me here people!

JessPintoMare 05-15-2011 07:33 PM

Come on people help me here!!!!

Tennessee 05-15-2011 07:35 PM

I don't see why not. My gelding (previously a cutting horse) wasn't trained on barrels until recently, and he's ten.

JessPintoMare 05-15-2011 07:39 PM

Well she doesn't respond to the bit very well and I've never seen her run her hardest. But I guess with hard work shell come around. Thanks!:)

BarrelRacer86 05-15-2011 11:27 PM

Its not all aabout running though. Barrel horse is worth nothing if they can't properly turn a barrel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Poseidon 05-15-2011 11:37 PM

My mare's almost 8 and will eventually be trained for barrels. She's got a good mind between her ears and learns fast. Not to mention, she turns so tight now I have to grab my saddle horn all the time to keep myself down.

BarrelRacingMolly 06-09-2011 04:56 PM

My mare is 8 and i'm training her on barrels...So I don't see why not! :)

To loose some of her weight do slow (walk-trot) excersises at first don't be feeding her a BUNCH of grain (I do half a scoop and 2 pads of hay- twice a day) Lunge her often, work on triming her down.

Don't make her afraid of the bit. Use leg and seat pressures a bunch too! :D Remember to slow work her first then progress from there!

MagicAmigo92 06-12-2011 07:05 PM

If you are trying to gain speed the best thing to do is build her up to it. Horses get faster on a game the more you work them on it. However, not too much seeing how she is overweight. Training her is going to take and everyday or close to attention to her. Like BarrelRacer86 said it's not about speed. It's about consistency. So get the pattern down on her first then work on speed.

Speed can be handled in many different ways. Some may use a round pen and some use endurance riding to build muscle.

smrobs 06-12-2011 07:58 PM

The first thing that you need to do is get her responding well to the bit and get the basics as solid as concrete.

Just remember, "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast". It doesn't matter if a horse can run like the devil lit his ass on fire if they run out of the pocket around every barrel.