The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Western Girl... but I think I have an English horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/western-girl-but-i-think-i-86752/)

PerchiesKisses 05-16-2011 03:57 PM

Western Girl... but I think I have an English horse?

So I brought my horse to a show, and I'm just curious if anybody else thinks my gelding looks more English than western?

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...nd/desktop.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z..._5283529_n.jpg

tinyliny 05-16-2011 04:49 PM

I totally see that horse in a dressage saddle. See how well he track up under himself with his hind feet? May I say, though, that he would go more Western if you sat back more in the saddle and gave him more rein.
Dressage is a total blast, will you give it try?

PerchiesKisses 05-16-2011 05:13 PM

You know I've always wanted to try dressage... I just need a trainer and the gear to do it :P

tinyliny 05-16-2011 05:22 PM

I ride dressage sometimes in my western saddle. They arent' so different. It's HOW you ride. As long as you can drape your leg down in a soft manner (don't brace into the stirrup) you can get a near dressage type seat in a western saddle. But, you would need a new bit and would be riding two handed.

It is really a great foundation for any type of riding and will improve your western riding. I started in dressage and now ride western, which has improved my riding overall. They all interrelate.

equiniphile 05-16-2011 05:32 PM

Oh yes, I'm totally seeing a dressage horse.

GeminiJumper 05-16-2011 08:26 PM

I can definitely see him going english! Especially Dressage with that neck.

farmpony84 05-16-2011 10:21 PM

Your horse could probably could do both depending on what and how you ask for something. In those photos you are riding with your body positioned in a more hunt type seat. You also have your horse extended in a very english gait so in those pix, yes looks very english, however I think you could acheive both....

RadHenry09 05-16-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1036670)
I ride dressage sometimes in my western saddle. They arent' so different. It's HOW you ride. As long as you can drape your leg down in a soft manner (don't brace into the stirrup) you can get a near dressage type seat in a western saddle. But, you would need a new bit and would be riding two handed.

It is really a great foundation for any type of riding and will improve your western riding. I started in dressage and now ride western, which has improved my riding overall. They all interrelate.

This is very true, I dont have the extra money to buy a good dressage saddle so I ride in my western saddle. My horse is very good at both now...I ride two handed with a snaffle as I dont show and he seems to like it better than a shank bit anyway.

PerchiesKisses 05-17-2011 09:53 AM

Hmm.. I think I might inquire about lessons at the neighbouring barn. I've always wanted to try my hand at Dressage, and it seems like Nikki's got the natural ability to be able to give it a go. Thanks guys :)

serafina 05-20-2011 10:12 PM

This is next to useless on the dressage-vs-western thing because I know very little about it, but I wanted to say that I think your horse is very handsome! The small amount I do know about is that you do not look like you are sitting him in a western seat - I'm a Texan, and have spent a fair amount of time in Western saddles and in my experience at least, that involves sitting more "back" on the horse - I'm learning hunt seat right now, and the posture you're using on him is a lot more like what I am learning than what I'm used to from a Western style. Also, I do not think this is the head and neck position from the horse that I'm used to with the Western riding I've done and seen. He looks like he's got a more...I don't know..."formal"(?) configuration there.

I do think the two of you look really good together, though!