The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Flying lead changes (or just lead changes) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/flying-lead-changes-just-lead-changes-8677/)

amightytarzan5 05-06-2008 10:38 PM

Flying lead changes (or just lead changes)

I am training my horse for hunter/jumper, but he doesn't know lead changes. I have no clue how to train them. HELP!

country_girl 05-07-2008 04:45 AM

to do a flying change ur horse has to be extremly balanced so i would recommend a simple change (coming back to the trot for a stride or two) a good way to get your horse to change leads is put a rail on the ground and do figure of 8's over it asking for the lead over the rail. another way is when u go over the jump u have open ur inside rein and put ur inside leg on the girth and outside behind the girth (a basic canter aid but over a jump)

Sara 05-07-2008 07:35 AM

Yes, start with simple changes, canter/trot/canter. When those are very smooth, with one stride of trotting in between, then start thinking about flying changes.

SonnyWimps 05-07-2008 11:06 AM

when you start out aask for the canter by bringing the leg closest to the fence/wall a litlte further back and cue with that leg....also ask while turning a corner...to properly balance themselves a horse should naturally pick up the right lead while cantering around a corner...it's easier for them to balance and doesn't feel weird to either the rider or the horse.

If he gets the wrong lead, immediately bring him to a trot...do not canter him around in the wrong lead...that will teach him to get that lead all the time...go around and try to pick up the correct lead again and again until he can get it every single time you ask on a turn.

Then work on asking on a wall...or any straight line and again if he gets the wrong lead then slow him down to a trot and ask again.

Like Sara and Country Girl said...do the easiest first once your horse perfects the leads in itself then work on the flying lead changes

PoptartShop 05-07-2008 01:36 PM

Yep, I also advise starting with regular lead changes first. ;)

NorthernMama 05-07-2008 04:39 PM

OK -- I'm learning here too. I've never done any of this stuff, but I'd like to. So if I understand it, to ask for a left lead, to go to the left, I should put my left leg ON the girth and my right leg BEHIND the girth? This seems completely backwards to me. For a left lead, the horse will strike out with the left foot first and ahead, right?

amightytarzan5 05-07-2008 04:47 PM

Yeah, I'm with northernmama. How do you ask for the lead?

love-a-hero 05-07-2008 09:55 PM

Ask for the opposite lead, ie reverse the command to canta.

Its hard to explain, and flying changes are a advanced movenment and should only be attempted by balanced educated horses.

SonnyWimps 05-07-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernmama
OK -- I'm learning here too. I've never done any of this stuff, but I'd like to. So if I understand it, to ask for a left lead, to go to the left, I should put my left leg ON the girth and my right leg BEHIND the girth? This seems completely backwards to me. For a left lead, the horse will strike out with the left foot first and ahead, right?

if you are going counter-clock wise you will ask by putting your RIGHT leg farther back behind the girth and squeezing with that leg...the left leg will just stay in place. Most horses (if fully trained) will know that as the cue for a canter...for a greener horse, you'll want to combine that cue with possibly a kick, cluck, or something that will get that horse to speed up and go into the canter.
For counter-clockwise you want the LEFT leg (the horse's left leg) to lead

If you want I can try to get a video of me asking for leads on Sonny if that would help.

jazzyrider 05-08-2008 03:11 AM

sonny youve even managed to confuse me lol both directions you gave were for counter-clockwise :P

guys dont forget we als have an instructional videos section now that we are slowly building up. if anyone is having trouble grasping something you can go into where the videos are and request one from us. we can organise getting some visual for you then :D