The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Buy or Lease? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/buy-lease-8680/)

jessb_123 05-07-2008 07:23 AM

Buy or Lease?

Hi!
I have never owned a horse before but me and my parents were looking to buy one and someone suggested that we lease one.
I would only have the horse around 3 years (uni) so should I lease?
Or buy a horse myself and then sell it?

PaintHorseMares 05-07-2008 08:20 AM

I don't know your location, but if you are only going to have it for 3 years and considering the state of the economy and hay/feed prices going up, you may be able to find a 'free lease' horse and save yourself a bunch of $$s. There are plenty of horse owners around here just looking for someone to pick up the maintenance costs.

jessb_123 05-07-2008 08:29 AM

Yeah, I live in England.
Would probably be best to lease I suppose.

Vidaloco 05-07-2008 09:57 AM

In your situation I think a lease would be best. Unless one of your parents is interested in riding after you have left, for university I assume?

jessb_123 05-07-2008 10:10 AM

Yeah, if I go to uni, and my parents would never get on a horse! During my lessons they stand as far away as possible or go to the pub! :lol:

So yeah, I have had a look and there is only 1 so far I could find in my area,
14HH, 8 year old, chestnut gelding.
I am very new so would 8 be too young?

PaintHorseMares 05-07-2008 10:17 AM

An 8 yr old is not too young. If you are new to riding, it would be best to have a trainer or instructor that is familiar with your skills try the horse out first, though.

jessb_123 05-07-2008 10:21 AM

Yeah, Well I will show my friend it and get her to come and look at it with me, I'll have another look around later.

PoptartShop 05-07-2008 10:26 AM

I'd lease.
8yrs old is a good age (that's how old mine is about to be), just make sure you try it out, ask questions, etc.

jessb_123 05-07-2008 10:32 AM

Ok Thank you everyone, but can anyone translate this?

Welsh section c, x Hackney, Chestnut Gelding, 8 years, forward, honest pony, heaps of character, no vices, loves jumping, ideal pony club

JustDressageIt 05-07-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessb_123
Ok Thank you everyone, but can anyone translate this?

Welsh section c, x Hackney, Chestnut Gelding, 8 years, forward, honest pony, heaps of character, no vices, loves jumping, ideal pony club

I don't know how much you need translated, and I'm sick at home so I'll just translate the whole thing!! :D

Welsh Section C = breed
x Hackney = the pony is a Welsh/Hackney cross (a cross between two breeds)
Chestnut = color, brown
Gelding = casterated ("neutered") male
Forward = you don't have to kick him all the time to make him go, good impulsion
Honest = doesn't have bad riding habits, like refusing jumps, or bucking or rearing
Character = very personable, has a huge personality - can also mean he's a cheeky little guy.
No vices = vices are things that people don't like to have in a horse, for example, cribbing, pulling while tied, stall-weaving, etc.
Ideal pony club = good with kids, would make a suitable kids' mount

I hope I helped a little bit.
From the word "Forward" on, those things mean different things to different people; I translated as how I would read and interpret the ad :)

Best of luck! I agree that leasing would be your best option :)

Maybe I'll throw in a curve though: what about not leasing or buying, but finding a barn with different school horses? I've been riding for ... 16+ years?... and for the first 6, I didn't own a horse, I just took lessons on various school horses, and was able to progress upwards to the next "level" of horse when I got good enough :D