The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Late fees for boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/late-fees-boarding-86810/)

mls 05-17-2011 10:17 AM

Late fees for boarding

How many of you have a late fee if your board is not on time? A flat rate or an increasing fee?

Are there exceptions to the late fee?

JustDressageIt 05-17-2011 10:25 AM

Ive been at stables that do charge a late fee, the going rate was $25-$50 per instance. However, I don't think they were too sticky with it for good boarders that paid and just genuinely forgot or had a reason, more to be able to charge it to those chronically late.
Posted via Mobile Device

corinowalk 05-17-2011 10:29 AM

My last barn was $5/day for every day over the 5th. I think it is to be expected. Things come up and everyone makes exceptions but for someone that is chronically late, I would expect a charge.

Lonannuniel 05-17-2011 10:35 AM

there's a late fee at my barn - I think around 30$ + if the board isn't payed by a certain date. the reason being that the owners have their own bills to be payed by a certain date as well, and without a board check they have to find an alternated source of money. no exceptions for good boarders vs. bad boarders, however I'm sure there are a few exceptions beyond that ( not sure what those are though). even a post-dated check must include the late fee if it's past the due date. A bit annoying, yes, but it's completely understandable.

Alwaysbehind 05-17-2011 10:43 AM

Is it sad that I do not remember? :oops:
I am sure that there was a late fee at the one place I boarded. I just never had to pay it so I have no idea what it was or how it worked.

I think a late fee is fair.

If I were to have boarders I would probably have a fee for initially being late plus a per day fee above that so they do not figure that I am late now and I owe the $20 I might as well wait until next week to pay.

mls 05-17-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 1037471)
If I were to have boarders I would probably have a fee for initially being late plus a per day fee above that so they do not figure that I am late now and I owe the $20 I might as well wait until next week to pay.

THIS is exactly what we are dealing with - two boarders.

Our policy is if you are going to be late - we realize things happen - if you CALL prior to your due date - as in pick up the phone - make an effort - we waive the late fee. ($25 per horse)

One boarder has been running two weeks late for MONTHS. I just got the e-mail this morning. Now planning to pay until the 27th. Was due on the 15th.

The $25 is just not enough of a penalty. It was suggested a flat $5 per day.

I always tell folks - we don't wait to feed your horse until we get your payment.

Alwaysbehind 05-17-2011 11:12 AM

I think $5 per day is fair.

Sunny 05-17-2011 12:21 PM

At my barn, board is due on the first of each month. If it isn't payed by the fifth, it's a $55 late fee.
Posted via Mobile Device

DWStables 05-17-2011 12:21 PM

I charge 5.00 per day for every day that they are late,also they only have 15 days to pay IN FULL before I take the horse and it goes to auction(its in my contract)May seem harsh but why should I eat the cost to feed thier horse for a month or more then have them pull the horse out.This is explained to everyone before they board here.I will however make exceptions if you call me BEFORE your late and make arrangments to pay in full before the 15 days are up.The people who dont like that are usually the ones that have been booted before for non payment and I dont want them here anyway.

Delfina 05-17-2011 12:24 PM

I have no idea if there is a late fee since when my trainer hands me my bill, I immediately write her a check so I don't forget.

A progressive late fee is reasonable though and you can always waive it for any special circumstances, I just wouldn't let anyone know that you would be willing to do that.