The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Clippers for the dogs? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/clippers-dogs-86818/)

kitten_Val 05-17-2011 12:57 PM

Clippers for the dogs?

I know there is a link to dog-only forum here. But it needs registration + it's kinda one-time question. So...

It's getting very warm and my dog has too much fur on her. I was thinking about clipping her, but I'd love to hear recommendations before pouring my money into something I'm not familiar with. Does it make sense to buy cheaper ones?

Dressage10135 05-17-2011 01:24 PM

I personally use horse clippers on my dog. Just use a 10 blade at the shortest and you should be fine :D However, if you wanted to go and buy clippers I prefer Oster's and steer clear of Whal's.

wishingforahorse 05-17-2011 06:14 PM

I use Oster 2-speed dog clippers. Don't buy the kits that they sell at department stores..they don't work and aren't worth your money. Just make sure that you keep good care of the clippers/blades. The clippers usually come with a #10 blade that is meant for closer shaving..I think. I use it on the feet and sometimes belly. I use the 4F blade for their body and it comes out really nice looking. 7F will give the shortest cut. Atleast that's what I was told.

wyominggrandma 05-17-2011 06:24 PM

Oster or Andis clippers are what I use for grooming at my shop.
The bigger the number the shorter the clip. 40 blades are surgical, 30 are a big more hair but basically hairless, on down the line
A 10 will give a shaved cut but not pink skin showing.
The smaller the number, the longer the cut. a 3 is about the longest blade cut, there is a 3,4,5,7,8 1.2,. F behind the number means full cut, no number means sort of a jagged cut.

kitten_Val 05-18-2011 02:53 PM

Thank you, folks! I really appreciate everyone's input!

MIEventer 05-19-2011 02:43 PM

Being a Dog Groomer, I use Oster clippers. I love the 2 speed. I buy mine from the pet supplies stores, or TSC. You can buy your blades from TSC as well.

It depends on how short you want your dogs coat.

What I do is I use the #10 for the under belly area, inbetween the hind legs, the pee pee area and the butt. I also use the #10 blade to get the hair along the bridge of the nose, and the goopy hair at the corner of the eyes (the part that connects to the bridge of the nose). I use the #30 blade to get the hair in the pads, over the pads and just behind the pads of the feet.

But again, it depends on the breed, and the hair.

The only time I use a #10 blade on a dogs coat, would be Cocker Spaniels, Schnauzers, Poodle's.

Depending on the breed, and the length of coat you want, pends the # of the blade.

I wouldn't go into any cheap clippers - stick with Oster, you wont be sorry.

My2Geldings 05-20-2011 05:38 PM

Clipping dogs is very easy to do, or at least will become easier the more you do it. The one's we've always stuck with, are the Oasters. The same brands that are used to make horse clippers are also available for dogs. I like to stick to brands I know.

kitten_Val 05-20-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 1040330)
Being a Dog Groomer, I use Oster clippers. I love the 2 speed. I buy mine from the pet supplies stores, or TSC. You can buy your blades from TSC as well.

It depends on how short you want your dogs coat.

What I do is I use the #10 for the under belly area, inbetween the hind legs, the pee pee area and the butt. I also use the #10 blade to get the hair along the bridge of the nose, and the goopy hair at the corner of the eyes (the part that connects to the bridge of the nose). I use the #30 blade to get the hair in the pads, over the pads and just behind the pads of the feet.

But again, it depends on the breed, and the hair.

The only time I use a #10 blade on a dogs coat, would be Cocker Spaniels, Schnauzers, Poodle's.

Depending on the breed, and the length of coat you want, pends the # of the blade.

I wouldn't go into any cheap clippers - stick with Oster, you wont be sorry.

Thanks, MIE!

So are you doing it professionally? Sounds like a fun job to me. :-)

kitten_Val 05-20-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings (Post 1041530)
Clipping dogs is very easy to do.

Lol! My mom actually used SCISSORS to clip my other dog (lab mix, 80 lbs, so pretty big). However the end result looks pretty terrifying, so I decided clippers is a better way to go...