The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sedating for trimming? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sedating-trimming-86829/)

Golden Horse 05-17-2011 04:09 PM

Sedating for trimming?

I have a big mare here who isn't scared to throw her weight around, she was basically unhandled for 7 years before I got her and it has been a long road trying to build up trust with her.

Her feet are a huge issue, and I need to get them trimmed, I can now lift and clean her fronts, but she is still fighting about the backs. I can't wait any longer for her to come around, so I need to get those feet done, so I think we are going to have to sedate.

What do folk normally use for sedation for working with feet?

gigem88 05-17-2011 04:12 PM

You should talk with your farrier, first. He might not want a horse falling on him! lol

Golden Horse 05-17-2011 04:30 PM

I've left a message for my farrier, waiting for him to come back to me, he's on vacation at the moment.

I'm just seeing what the options are, I surely don't want her unsteady so she can't stand. I wondered about hauling her into the vet and having her done under sedation in the stocks.

gigem88 05-17-2011 04:46 PM

I hope everything works out for you!

mls 05-17-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigem88 (Post 1037840)
You should talk with your farrier, first. He might not want a horse falling on him! lol

With the proper dose of the correct tranq, the horse can be completely stable physical - just 'zoned' mentally.

However - a twitch may help also. Ask your farrier what s/he would prefer.

Allison Finch 05-17-2011 05:07 PM

I would sedate her per your farriers approval. Then I would continue DAILY with the foot handling lessons, including tapping the hoof with hoofpick and LOTS of praise.

natisha 05-17-2011 05:09 PM

Sedation will work, it takes a lot to drop a horse.

For teaching to lift & hold feet up try a long rope around the cannons, pasterns & use that for lifting & holding the feet/legs. You hold both ends of the rope & stay out of range. Don't tie the leg rope to them, just drape it around the leg. Be sure the horse ties securely first.

Golden Horse 05-17-2011 07:37 PM

I have been handling her feet twice a day if possible, but it's very frustrating. If I'm stood at her shoulder I can lift her hinds and keep them up for a little while using the method that Natisha describes there.

If I lift them by hand she will either kick out, or try and come over on me, just swinging herself around. I am making progress but it's slow going.

natisha 05-17-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 1038071)
I have been handling her feet twice a day if possible, but it's very frustrating. If I'm stood at her shoulder I can lift her hinds and keep them up for a little while using the method that Natisha describes there.

If I lift them by hand she will either kick out, or try and come over on me, just swinging herself around. I am making progress but it's slow going.

Try standing behind her but towards the side, so you can pull her leg back & up, more like as if you were lifting it by hand.

natisha 05-17-2011 11:55 PM

Hoof Desensitizing training at One True Media - share slideshows, slide shows, Facebook slideshows, free video sharing, video montages.

You may want to watch these videos. A person on another forum was having a terrible time for years with her horse's feet. I offered to help her & she did a wonderful job. The horse is still great with her feet.
Check it out. It seems like you are already doing this stuff but they are still fun to watch.:-)