The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Scary Moments (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/scary-moments-8683/)

Vidaloco 05-07-2008 10:09 AM

Scary Moments

Anyone have one of those OH CRAP moments when trail riding?
I had one last year. We were riding in the Ouachita Mountains in SE Oklahoma. I was in the lead going down a very steep narrow trail. We came up to a huge drop off/wash of about 4-5" (Note thats feet not inches) straight down. There was no way we could turn around, we had to go down. remember we were going down hill anyway on a steep grade. My husband was behind me and later he told me all he heard was me saying "oh sh** Vida" and then I disappeared. I guess she knew we had no choice but to go for it.
We found out later that particular trail was closed because of that drop. I was kinda proud of us but mostly scared to death.

PaintHorseMares 05-07-2008 10:30 AM

I do a lot of trail blazing and last year riding through the woods (probably a bit faster than recommended), came across an old, rusty, cow pasture barbed wire boundary fence. I didn't see it until we were way too close, but I think my mare must have cause we wound up jumping a section that had the top strand down. First time I had jumped anything besides logs. I don't scare easily, but was heart was pounding a bit.

Britt 05-08-2008 09:03 AM

I've had a LOT of those 'OMG' moments... I can't remember many right now, but the one that I can was when I was riding down the trails that go down the powerlines... these things went up and over a mountain, and I had Gyps. We slid sideways twice on the way down about twenty feet or so becausethere was two VERY steep drop-offs...

Those powerlines are now one of my favorite places to ride up and down. Lol.

Sissimut-icehestar 05-08-2008 11:56 AM

well i was on my way to a trail...
and i had to go under a road, but my mare was acting up and went straight up this very steep, very loose gravel hill that lead up to the road ! it was about 3-4 meters high, and i just remember think as the traffic passed by " if some idiot honks right now Im done for"
thankfully i managed to get off and slide down ! :roll:

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-08-2008 04:46 PM

More than once I have been acused that my favorite word is sh*% :oops: I must say it alot when riding...we seem to get into "situations" more than I'd like. Mind you I have only been back riding since Oct 07 so its probably just me. So far the scarriest moment we have had was when Dumas decided to slide/hop/sit his way down a hill... He was doing the sit/squat position and had his front feet pedleing us forward. He was fine with the whole thing! I was the one that had to check my shorts!

PoptartShop 05-08-2008 05:04 PM

Yeah, once I was on a trail...there was this REALLY steep hill thingy, we HAD to cross over it, because there was no other way to go. :(
So I did, Lexi did okay whew, I was shocked that she did it because I didn't know if she would do it or not. At the time she was only like 6 so yeah, bit weery! I was so proud of her though.
Boy, was I scared!

FGRanch 05-08-2008 09:21 PM

I've done the barded wire fence thing when I was a kid.

Vidaloco 05-09-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dumas'_Grrrl
More than once I have been acused that my favorite word is sh*% :oops: I must say it alot when riding...we seem to get into "situations" more than I'd like. Mind you I have only been back riding since Oct 07 so its probably just me. So far the scarriest moment we have had was when Dumas decided to slide/hop/sit his way down a hill... He was doing the sit/squat position and had his front feet pedleing us forward. He was fine with the whole thing! I was the one that had to check my shorts!

LOL I had one of those too! On my previous horse Mattie, a little draft pony QH mix. She slid down a muddy creek bank on her butt. Her back legs went completely out from under her. I stayed on but had no idea how. One of those I wish I had a video camera moments. Could have sent it to Funniest Home Videos and won :lol:

PoptartShop 05-09-2008 10:47 PM

LOL Vida! :lol:

Bitless 05-10-2008 04:16 AM

Ehh to many. lol.

One of the worst was going to the big beach for the first time on my own. Was a awsom ride except for at the end. We were troting in the sand, and on one side is a huge muddy lagoon, was low tide so was pretty much only mud.
Silly horse turned and went straight in before i had a chance to react. He sunk to his knees, and trying to get out ended up jumping in further , resulting in him being in the mud up to his stomach/side. I kinda rolled off his back. Then he managed to jump out on his own.
I checked him over then had to jump back on as it was like a over hlaf hour ride home. Also had to walk home covered in very smelly mud as there was no water to wash it off :lol: