The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Very Bored Horse....

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kitten_Val 
#1 ·
Hey -

I have an older Arabian gelding who has seen and done just about everything under the sun. While this is great for a beginning horse, he often becomes sulky after doing something he's obviously done before. The only things he remotely 'enjoys' are jumping and endurance riding. Conditioning on unknown trails is his cup of tea, and he never seems to get tired of going over a jump when we're both in good form. But, when it comes to working with me when he is bored, he goes into 'I old horse, I know better' mode. I am planning to start working more into dressage this year, to improve us both. He is a very rough-gaited horse, and I think that would improve if I could get him properly collected (which he never is). The problem is, I don't know how to keep his interest during the basics. It is also hard to control the speed of his canter. Suggestions, anyone?

#2 ·
Can you start working basics on trail may be? Some horses just don't like arena and all tricks in world not gonna change it (personality thing). While I mostly ride my mares in ring when I trail ride I try to work on same basics I do in arena: working from behind, coming on bit, etc. Plus I can add hill work into equation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.