The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I feel like a backstabber but I don't care right now.

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  my2geldings 
#1 ·
My friend has a 22yr. gelding that has ranked himself as high as people. He bites when you tighten his cinch and he throws a big fit when another horse passes him, particularly my horse, and my friend doesn't do anything about it! Her horse gets away with too much. Who am I to judge? When her horse is trying to hurt my horse for no reason, its my business.

And she is always telling me how to ride. "You are too soft. Be harder on him." I don't see her disciplining her bratty horse. She tries to make me lope when I'm not comfortable with Blu's faster lope/canter. Sure I'll run him and stuff but honestly showing worries me.

Her horse was already made for her. So she didn't take it upon herself to worry about what he may do to others. She gets so irresponsible that she will be talking and her horse will try to bite Blu's head off. It maybe a little uncalled for but I will look at her and say flat out sternly, "Get your horses face away from mine."

She gets mad, I know, but if you won't watch your horse - I guess I will for the safety of mine. Boo KNOWS better than to insult another horse. I've been through that with him. My friend's horse just gets away with whatever he wants. Even if it means biting people.

I'm so tired of it. I'll work with my horse and watch over him if you do the same with yours. She doesn't. I end up having to discipline her horse from my horse. Grrrr. And she thinks so knows it all. "my dad would do this. do that. don't do that. make him this. make him that." Hello, one size doesn't fit all horses! And when I'm way past what she's telling me, I ignore her at times.

I feel so mean but I had to vent. Thanks for reading. Hopefully, I won't have to push her off her horse for her to get some sense and pay attention to him. :evil: :?

I recently read one of Sonny's posts "OMG how DARE she" lol. I understand that hitting someone's horse is wrong. But I have my own exception:

When I am standing by my horse and my friend's gelding happens to get pissy to my horse and puts me in the middle of biting, kicking, throwing a fit - I don't care - but I will not tolerate it! I'll push her horse away whether she gets mad or not. I'm not greatly worried that my horse will get hurt, its primarily that she and I will....and her horse will just get worse. :shock:

See less See more
#2 ·
You (or someone) does indeed have to correct horse 'manners' problems immediately and every time... or an injury is just waiting to happen.
Even when our mares do normal horse fussing with each other over hay or whatever, they know not to do it if I'm in the middle of it.

#3 ·
OMG, I so agree with you Blu. That's not right of her not to discipline her horse. You are doing the right thing. ;)

There is this girl @ my barn...she ALWAYS lets her horse do whatever he wants. It's really annoying. I hate it...they need to be taught manners & how to respect you. Her horse isn't gonna have any respect if she keeps it up.

#5 ·
I'm sorry you're dealing with this! What a brat SHE sounds like. It's not the horses fault....he's just being a horse and not being corrected, he doesn't know what's right or wrong. She really shouldnt be acting like she 'knows it all' to you especially after all you've been through with Blu....I think you know him better than anyone! Don't push things if you know you're not comfortable and/or he's not ready for it. Take her advice with a grain of salt. Sometimes you just have to be the bigger person and walk away from it. Sorry you're dealing with it! Good luck!

#6 ·
Ignorant horse people = Dangerous horse people. :evil:

If I were you I'd address your issues with her and let her know that you feel like your horse is in danger when hers isn't listening and that she pushes you further than you feel comfortable. If she can't handle that or doesn't want to work on it, then I would really consider riding by yourself (or someone else) for a while; both to get your confidence up and let her think about the situation. It's not worth someone getting hurt (or scared!)

Hang in there!! 8)

#7 ·
I hate it when she acts like she knows everything so much!

She's has done this multiple times:

we go riding. We end up jumping a little. I jump for like 20mins with just trotting and jumping and give Blu a break. She keeps going. 20mins passes. 30mins. pass. Her gelding is pastey with sweat, coughing, and now stepping over the jumps one leg at a time. He's 22 danget! So I go out and tel lher to get off. She says he won't listen so she lopes more. Thats when I got mad and left. I was gone for almost an hour doing groundwork with Boo in the roundopen. I went back and she was STILL loping her horse. I wanted to slap her.... :evil:

#8 ·
Wow that's horrible, Blu!! She's totally over-working her horse... :( Well it's good you're at least telling her. But it sucks she won't listen. Ah, just let her be...& if something happens to her horse, she'll be to blame! Horses need breaks! I'm surprised he isn't lame. Is he lame often???

#9 ·
Not that I know of. He hasn't been shod in over two months. I guess their farrier won't come out? She said they've called him. Last time I saw, his hooves grew over his shoes so they came off. Then they were cracking like crazy. That was on that big trailride and he still hasn't been shod. His feet look horrible. Its like she doesn't care. She says she hasn't ridden him. But still letting him walk around like that when he is swayback anyways. :x :shock: :?

#11 ·
In that case, I would definitely steer clear of her!

it seems she is just after attention(??) perhaps if no one acknowledges her, complements her, condemns her (etc.) she will stop and think?

Do you board? If so, why hasn't the BO stepped in to help the poor guy get shoes??

Hang in there!

#12 ·
No, she has a horsey family. They've always had horses. I am the only one that works with horses in my family. Most of the stuff I learned on my own. But she says her dady taught her this and that but does she reinforce it? Nope...

#14 ·
I would definately try to get a BO involved (if there is one in your situation) Her horse is probably not only dangerous to you and your horse, but to everyone else. Maybe if you speak to him/her they'd have a chat with your friend/her family.

But I'm not familiar with your situation so this might not work.

Good Luck, this is a difficult one, especially since she's your friend.

#15 ·
Your post was very difficult to read and understand. From what I think I understood, it sounds like her horse has gotten some bad habits worked out and she doesn't do anything. Because it is her horse, there isn't much you can do so the simple way of dealing with it is to stay away from her and the horse. I'm sure the barn can accommodate you tying your horse at the other end of the barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.