The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   When can I geld him. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/when-can-i-geld-him-86867/)

flytobecat 05-18-2011 02:57 AM

When can I geld him.

Havok is the first colt my sister and I have had. Our other baby was a filly.
Originally, we were going to wait until he was at least 2, but he's only a few month's old now & already a handful. Our filly was such a laid back girl.
We are now talking about gelding him in the fall after fly season, but he won't be quite a year old yet.
What is the earliest you can geld a colt? And what are the pros and cons to waiting or not waiting?

bubba13 05-18-2011 03:26 AM

You can geld them as soon as their testicles drop. I've personally seen them done as young as three months. The only differences in waiting vs. not waiting that I've heard is that colts gelding younger do not develop all of the secondary sex characteristics (big jowel, etc.) and may tend to grow a little taller. Plus there is the behavioral benefit.

candandy49 05-18-2011 08:55 AM

This is my QH mare's first born. We had him gelded as a 10 month old. He matured into a very nice Gelding. He is 1/2 QH and 1/2 TB. In this picture he is about 18 months old.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...Picture085.jpg

There is no set age to geld a colt. However as already stated the testicles must be fully descended. This colt's testicles were both descended at his foaling.

MTA: That is my QH mare and the colt's mother/dam in my avatar.

flytobecat 05-18-2011 10:13 AM

Thanks for the input. We will probably do it sooner rather than later. Havok will be about 10 months old in Nov. That is when it starts cooling off & there are fewer flies.
Candy your QH/TB is very handsome.

candandy49 05-18-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flytobecat (Post 1038673)
Thanks for the input. We will probably do it sooner rather than later. Havok will be about 10 months old in Nov. That is when it starts cooling off & there are fewer flies.
Candy your QH/TB is very handsome.

Thank You for you comment on my mare's offspring.

equus717 05-18-2011 10:53 AM

I had Caddo gelded at 9 months old. He wasn't a handful but was going to be my trail horse and show horse

Gelding him younger I think has more benefits in it. One he won't ever know that he is a stallion and if he is running with other horses you won't have to worry about him breeding a mare accidentally.

Cherie 05-18-2011 01:59 PM

We usually geld at 6 - 8 months. We do not foal early and by then the flies have slowed down.

We prefer the cleaner neck and throat-latch that they keep when gelded early.

.Delete. 05-18-2011 02:02 PM

You can safely geld a colt at any time

Endiku 05-18-2011 02:12 PM

this doesn't happen often, but one of our colts actually didn't drop until he was two and a half years old, so we had to wait quite a while. Because of that, it took him a while to settle down and act like a gelding, so I'd recommend getting him gelded as soon as you can see both. The earlier the better!

.Delete. 05-18-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endiku (Post 1038965)
this doesn't happen often, but one of our colts actually didn't drop until he was two and a half years old, so we had to wait quite a while. Because of that, it took him a while to settle down and act like a gelding, so I'd recommend getting him gelded as soon as you can see both. The earlier the better!

You dont have to wait till they drop.