The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   new to me (used) saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/new-me-used-saddle-86905/)

ottbrider 05-18-2011 02:13 PM

new to me (used) saddle

2 Attachment(s)
so I bought this saddle yesterday at a tack place near me. they had zero idea what it was so I got it for next to nothing. Its actually in very good condition and quality, super light also.

If anything I can use it for schooling at home. I cannot afford $1000+ CC saddle right now (or ever) and so far my other jump saddles I am realizing the knee rolls are just not fitting me right so the hunt is on...

little dusty from sitting at the tack place. There is a number stamped on it but I dont see any metal plate names, etc.

does anyone recognize this saddle?

Speed Racer 05-18-2011 02:18 PM

There's no indication of a maker anywhere on the saddle?

Most of them have something on an inner flap or somewhere around the pommel.

iridehorses 05-18-2011 02:22 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I moved the thread to a section where you should get more response.

ottbrider 05-18-2011 04:11 PM

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 1039055)
Welcome to the forum.

I moved the thread to a section where you should get more response.

can you tell I am a neebie! :oops: although I posted it under eventing b/c I know its a cross country saddle so I was hoping one of the more experienced eventers would recognize it...

I will check further tonight, I was in a hurry to get out before she charged me more or changed her mind on the girth ... it belonged to another saddle but again that had no tag either. :wink:

Carleen 05-18-2011 05:22 PM

It looks like it's missing a flap. Or is that just the style of the saddle?

Speed Racer 05-18-2011 05:24 PM

Looks like it's a monoflap saddle, Carleen. I've never been a fan, but a lot of folks swear by them.

Carleen 05-18-2011 05:34 PM

Good point, SR. I thought it looked strange even for a monoflap having two different qualities/colours of leather like it does, but after googling them it seems to be quite common.

It might be an older Pariani like this one?
Unique Pariani Monoflap Jump Saddle - 16 1/2" | eBay

Speed Racer 05-18-2011 05:36 PM

Quite possibly. I think the two-tone coloration is because the saddle is smooth leather and the flap appears to be sueded leather.

It's a decent looking saddle, but most high end ones have a manufacturer's mark on them somewhere.

ottbrider 05-18-2011 05:49 PM

its all leather, but yes two toned. considered a mono flap. supposed to give cross country / eventers more contact thus the lower the girth. the blocks are not under a flap per se ... I am curious to see how it feels tonight.

the biggest issue I have with my current jump saddles is I just cant get the right knee block i.e. my leg gets trapped b/t the buckles of the girth and front block (pushing my knees too forward) OR my leg gets stuck behind the buckel and my legs swing out behind the girth. either way my leg pinches at the girth buckles even with 2 flaps ...

thanks for the link too!

ottbrider 05-18-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carleen (Post 1039335)
Good point, SR. I thought it looked strange even for a monoflap having two different qualities/colours of leather like it does, but after googling them it seems to be quite common.

It might be an older Pariani like this one?
Unique Pariani Monoflap Jump Saddle - 16 1/2" | eBay

I am pretty sure that is the saddle. I just googled the name Pariani and ding a horse forum classified ad from January came up...!

http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equip...-saddle-64817/

well I am pleased to say mine is in pretty good shape and I got it for $50 ... now hubby cant give me that stink eye he does when I come home with another saddle :lol: