The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Slow, western jog.... (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/slow-western-jog-86937/)

Carlie 05-18-2011 05:54 PM

Slow, western jog....

My horse won't do a slow jog..... HELP! How do I get her to slow it down? She's like a super trotter... I could take her to shows if she jogged. Her canter is great, but I need some advice. Any help is great!:D

.Delete. 05-18-2011 05:58 PM

Some horses cannot physically jog at a slow comfortable pace for the rider. But like i said on your other thread. Its hard to tell without you giving us more information about your situation.

raywonk 05-22-2011 10:36 PM

Can you get us a video? Do you do lateral movements with your horse. Half passes shoulder ins and small circles?

SissyGoBob 05-27-2011 12:45 PM

get her into her trot and as soon as soon as she speeds up stop her and back her, not like she is in trouble, but firm. Repeat, and when she does it right, or slow-er (it wont happen quickly) stop her and praise her, let her stand. Then ask again.

raywonk 05-27-2011 06:50 PM

you can use pole set for a jog.

SissyGoBob 05-27-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raywonk (Post 1048329)
you can use pole set for a jog.

Now I'm curious, lol, how? I've never heard of that before.

raywonk 05-27-2011 07:10 PM

get five ground poles and set them out at 4 ft apart on a strait line. Jog is not just going slow it is shortening the stride. I like to approach the poles and two strides before you are to go over them cue your horse to shorten the stride. I use a spur stop and easy for my horse. On my sister in law I just sit a little deeper in the saddle and exhale. The first several times they will step on the poles and make a mess of it once they figure out that they can adjust their stride to fit in side the poles it gets easier. I will then spread the poles out to 6 ft and make them stretch out also again asking them just before the poles. I want my horse to not just go slow all the time. I want him to go what ever pace I ask him to when I ask him to. After horse starts doing poles well try asking well before the poles and see if he shortens stride before getting to the poles.

touchofsleep 05-30-2011 08:14 PM

Bump back on the reins until she slows down. Then give her a loose rein as an award and a little pet and good girl. Every time she speeds up, bump back. She will catch on. It's very easy. Just bump-bump release and repeat