The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Banding with a cowlick (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/banding-cowlick-86999/)

countrygirl91 05-19-2011 02:23 PM

Banding with a cowlick

Hey guys I'm at wits end on this one. My gelding has a cowlick beginning at his poll to mid neck. Thru the years I've used quick braid, show sheen but normal by the end of the day the bands are back to his cowlick. I'm looking to see if anyone has any ideas?

I was wondering if anyone's ever used/thought about hairspray?

lopinlowandslow 05-19-2011 02:35 PM

I use human hairspray all the time. It worked well for Skipper who likes to have part of his mane on both sides of his neck :p

countrygirl91 05-19-2011 02:37 PM

I was thinking bout that lol, I was working on it this morning and putting some..oh gawd what was it..some human mosterizing conditioner, noticed that it was staying (till the bugger shoke his head) and thought of hair spray cuz I use it in tails to keep the wave in them.

lopinlowandslow 05-19-2011 02:44 PM

The human hairspray will deffinetly work. I *could* leave braids in for a week with that stuff (but I don't). The braids stay in with rain and wind during shows. It's great. I've heard that the aerosol stuff is bad..but that's what I use-I think (no CFCs, but it is continuous spray and I love it, I use it for my own hair too)

countrygirl91 05-19-2011 02:45 PM

Ok thank you :)

raywonk 05-27-2011 09:13 PM

I will also put a slinky on after I am done and let it hold everything down in place till it drys well. Then when I take it off it stays all weekend and looks great. Of course I put slinky back on each night.

countrygirl91 05-27-2011 09:17 PM

Raywonk-I normally do put a slinky on them(I've got one that makes him feel very manly-pink camo :D) Just sometimes well banding he shakes and flops it back over and it looks..well horrible after..But used the hair spray method and worked wonders-stayed all day.
:)