The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Trouble finding show apparel... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/trouble-finding-show-apparel-87058/)

Crystal09 05-20-2011 01:29 PM

Trouble finding show apparel...

Hey guys,
So I have decided to do some dressage show's this summer but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to wear. I know what I need but I'm having a hard time figuring out what brands are show quality but not super expensive (I'm a broke college student on a budget).
I found these breeches at Dover Saddlery Dover Saddlery | Riding Sport™ High Waist Full Seat Riding Breeches. would these be good enough? Do you have any brands you suggest?
I'm also having a hard time with sizing. I don't really have any tack stores near my house were I can go to try anything on so I was wondering if anyone could give me a general idea for sizing. I'm 5'8" 125lbs and i usually wear like a 3/4 in jeans and a 2 or a small in shirts.
and does anyone know a good place to look for preowned show jackets and boots? I've tried tacktrader and ebay without much luck, I can't seem to find anything in my size. I just don't have the money to buy anything new right now.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Crystal

gigem88 05-20-2011 01:40 PM

There's a lot of stuff on ebay or you can try www.tacktrader.com. I've found some good stuff at reasonable prices. Good luck!

upnover 05-21-2011 11:26 AM

With breeches the size is your waist measurement. I'm a size 4 in most stores (Gap, Banana Republic, Limited, etc) and I like my breeches to fit just a touch loose. Depending on the brand I'm about a size 26 but I like to buy 28s. In ariats I'm more of a 26. Being 5"8 and only 125 you may need to buy a "long" size if they offer one.
Not sure about dressage show shirts but with ratcatchers you're about one size up from your bra size. So I wear a 34 bra, and my shirts are a 36. Again, depending on the brands. Some fit roomier then others. Tailored Sportsman also goes by regular dress sizes.

I'm surprised you can't find anything off of ebay. I'd just keep looking. I can usually find several items there and you aren't a really unique size.

I've never bought these specific RS breeches but I have owned the knee patch kind. They're ok. I'd wear them to a schooling show but I found they didn't last as long as some higher quality pairs. Have you looked through their clearance section? for the same price you might be able to find a better quality for the same price. Since breeches get more wear and tear I tend to spend more money on breeches then shirts.

Crystal09 05-21-2011 01:26 PM

Thanks that helps a lot! I'm going to keep looking around on ebay now that I know what sizes to look for. I think I might just have to splurge on some higher end breeches then, I'll just end up spending a bunch of money on them anyway if I keep having to buy new ones, I might as well just get some that are going to last. I did try the clearance section but all they had were either really small or really big sizes, I'll keep checking back there though. Thank you for your help!

ponyjocky 05-22-2011 09:56 PM

I buy from victory canter.com because everything is cheap and no matter what you get free shipping. all name brands too.

Crystal09 05-24-2011 03:18 PM

Thanks ponyjocky I'll try looking there.