The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Yay! I learned to post today! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/yay-i-learned-post-today-87103/)

serafina 05-20-2011 08:47 PM

Yay! I learned to post today!

I had it for about 3 paces, accidentally, in my lesson last week. But I knew it when it happened! Everything was so much easier, and it fell into place...and of course, as soon as I thought "WHEE! I'M POSTING AT LAST" it all came apart.

I spent the last week trying to keep that weird stretchy feeling in mind, and today in my lesson, the instructor told me to trot the long way down the ring and to either sit or whatever (her words). I squeezed the horse into the trot, and just automagically boinged up and down and up and down. And I got him to stop when and where I wanted to, at the end of the ring. I kept in mind what happened last week, so I waited until me and my steed were at a standstill to say "I think that was a little right!" and the teacher said it wasn't a little right, it was a LOT right, and let's do it again, now.

So we did it up and down the long side of the ring, like, six times.

Next lesson: working on remembering to STEER the horse when posting on a trot. Any time now I will be able to *turn a corner* and keep posting...and I might just want a big gold star or something for that! :lol: (and no, I have no idea whether I was on the right diagonal or not - part of this, for me, at least, has been *not* thinking about what I was trying to do or looking at the horse to see where his legs are, and just letting it all happen).

kitten_Val 05-20-2011 09:10 PM

Congrats! While I know some people say "we posted on 1st lesson" I personally think it's not that easy at all to learn how to post. Just keep working on it! :-)

RockandRide 05-20-2011 09:11 PM

Thats AWESOME! So cool! When I started learning posting, I had to sit whenever I had to steer :P

serafina 05-20-2011 09:16 PM

I also realized my hands kept floating up. It seemed like I needed to pick "one" so instead of steering him, I focused on making sure that my knuckles were always touching hair. I figured that way they couldn't float up.

Thanks! This is only my 5th lesson, including the one where I had to make an emergency dismount and got a whacking huge concussion. So really, I guess, it is my 4th lesson. I have been trying to do this since my 1st lesson, though! I am so thrilled I want to go riding again tomorrow!

kitten_Val 05-20-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serafina (Post 1041816)
Thanks! This is only my 5th lesson, including the one where I had to make an emergency dismount and got a whacking huge concussion.

Welcome to the real horse riding world! :mrgreen:

But getting back to posting. Don't take too much into head when you ride. Keep working on posting till it'll be "part of you" and turning and everything else will come in place. Just takes some time.

serafina 05-20-2011 09:38 PM

:lol: It was my 2nd lesson, and I was mounted on this absolutely brilliant ex-show-jumper. He was the first horse I'd ridden, ever, where I felt like part of a unit instead of a piggy-back passenger. Unfortunately, I squeezed him into a trot but when I went to *try* to post, I must have given him the Mystery Sign for cantering. I stuck on him like a tick for 2 trips round the ring until I realized 1) ex-jumper (like 5' fences!), 2) cantering, 3) already dished out one mis-cue, 4) jumps in middle of ring, and 5) no earthly idea what would be interpreted as a cue to head for one of the jumps. That was enough for me to un-freeze, lose my balance, and decide that I needed to Bail Out before something disastrous happened to the horse. The part of my plan where I needed to ditch the stirrups and reins went fine, but something went wrong with the rest, because 10 minutes later, people I have never seen in my life (EMTs and cops) are asking me if I know where I am (no), what happened (no), and what day/date/month/season of the year it is (no notion). The told me "YOU HAD AN ACCIDENT! YOU FELL OFF A HORSE!" and my response to this was to say "Wow! I ride horses? That is awesome! I didn't know I rode horses!"

They took me away in the ambulance - I was later informed I am the first person in the 20 year history of the stables to be carted away by ambulance from a fall. (we need a chest-thumpy sort of emoticon for this!)

I bought a new helmet and found a sticker that looked JUST like the horse I had to ditch off of (a beautiful chestnut warmblood, 16.2 hh) and put it on my new helmet. The instructor told me it was too bad I didn't get a discount, since I'd only gotten to wear the first helmet once. I told her I had something better than a discount...I had STATUS. Because, holy cow, every single person in the tack shop wanted to hear All About this fall, and then told me THEIR absolutely hair-raising stories. :D

Anyway, after this (breakthrough today) I decided it would be a good thing to ride 2x per week, so I get to have an extra lesson every week now. Next up: jumping! (not!...but at least I can entertain the idea that I might be able to do that at some point...)

BlondieHorseChic 05-20-2011 09:48 PM

Have fun! You will get it eventually.

tinyliny 05-20-2011 10:02 PM

Serafina,

I congratulate you on your progress. Riding takes time to get all the parts coordinated. It's not as easy as some people make it look.

Now, the lesson where you learned to post was your third? and the ambulance fall was the second? Did I get that right. ?

That is amazing that you got back on!

serafina 05-20-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1041865)
Serafina,

I congratulate you on your progress. Riding takes time to get all the parts coordinated. It's not as easy as some people make it look.

Now, the lesson where you learned to post was your third? and the ambulance fall was the second? Did I get that right. ?

That is amazing that you got back on!

The ambulance was Lesson 2. Lesson 3 involved a longe line and restoring my (slightly) shaken confidence. Also a fresh mount. :) Lesson 4 was where I managed to get 3 paces worth of posting in, and at least I could *feel* what it was supposed to feel like. I focused on that feeling heavily between Lesson 4 and 5, and Lesson 5 (this morning) the instructor told me to ask for a trot and I found myself posting without even thinking too hard. I'd actually been planning to sit the trot, but it felt more...right...to boing up and down. It wasn't until I stopped that I allowed myself to think "OH BOY! THAT WAS POSTING!" :lol: because I was afraid I'd mess it up.

It really does feel less like something I'm having to "make" happen than it is something I'm "letting" happen. This is so cool!

serafina 05-20-2011 10:15 PM

Also, it probably helps (getting back up) that I knew that I hadn't really screwed up, and the horse definitely didn't screw up - he just thought I was a better rider than I was, and I didn't know what cues I was giving him. It was 100% a miscommunication, and I knew that. Or at least, I did know that once I remembered what had happened (mostly...I am still missing 10 minutes from that day, and I figure if it was so terrifying that my brain walled it off, I can just leave it like that). Once I sort of remembered what had happened I was 100% concerned with whether the horse was OK. I was there in the ER, worrying about whether he'd gotten bunged up or freaked out about it.

Which told me, in retrospect I guess, that I am definitely Horse People. :D I mean "Oh, the heck with this back board, I can move my fingers and toes...what I want to know is HOW IS THE HORSE" kind of says it all, on some level...