The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Do you Tip your Farrier? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/do-you-tip-your-farrier-8716/)

Equina 05-08-2008 12:35 AM

Do you Tip your Farrier?

A new horse-owner asked me this today while our horses were getting trimmed. It made me wonder what the industry standard is.

crackrider 05-08-2008 02:19 AM

I've never heard of tipping farriers!!! :?
I don't know if anyone else does but we don't . . . .it cost enough as it is without a tip on top. Also i don't think a lot of farriers would accept a tip after already being paid for the job.

jazzyrider 05-08-2008 03:41 AM

yeah tipping isnt customary at all here. its very rare for anyone to tip unless its the pizza man :) and yeah as said, it costs enough without having to tip as well ;)

kickshaw 05-08-2008 08:06 AM

At a big show barn I worked at, customers would tip the farrier's aid for holding their horse occasionally, but never the farrier for the work he was there to do...the way I see it, they build their tip into their rates :)

Vidaloco 05-08-2008 08:59 AM

When I voted no. I was afraid everyone else had voted yes and I have been commiting a major faux pas. I have given fresh eggs from my chickens, does that count as a tip?

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-08-2008 09:19 AM

Vida... it amazes me how much we think alike sometimes! I am having a new farrier come out on wednesday. I wasn't sure if I should tip her or not so I was going to offer her some eggs!!! :lol:

blossom856 05-08-2008 09:19 AM

For regular work, no. But if he has to go out of his way to do something then yes. For example, emergency calls, or an unruly horse that can't be sedated for whatever reason.

Abby 05-08-2008 09:48 AM

I only tip if he makes an extra visit to the barn for me specially, otherwise I hate my farrier, I think he's a jerk but he does a superb job so I deal with his cocky attitude to keep my horse sound since the only other fellow over here who does a good job charges fifty bucks for a trim, which I think is ridiculous.

PoptartShop 05-08-2008 10:03 AM

Yeah, I don't tip him unless he really goes out of his way or something. ;)

kitten_Val 05-08-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco
I have given fresh eggs from my chickens, does that count as a tip?

I get him some candies or little cakes from russian store. :) I don't count it as tip though.