The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   what is the best kind of fence to put up! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-best-kind-fence-put-up-87167/)

kaffik 05-21-2011 10:39 PM

what is the best kind of fence to put up!

I am moving to a farm, and the current fence is made of metal mesh with the squares being about 6" X 6" wide. I hear that this is bad for horses as they can get their hooves through these bigger holes. What is the best kind of fence ( least inexpenseive but good ) that you recommend? I am looking at polycoated wire- non-electric. I cannot afford post/rail type fence- as I have a large area to fence ( about 5 acres of so) althoug I would love that! ....opinions would be appreciated.

Indigosblue 05-21-2011 11:36 PM

you need to have a visual barrier.... horses often get caught in wire fences because they don't respect or see them... maybe just put boards on the top rail? If not i would suggest electric. Make sure the fence is NOT stretchy or bendable, they will figure this out and rub on it or squeeze through it, which will cause it to stretch more. In my opinion wood is probably the best fence (but i know too expensive), but only if installed properly and with lots of rails, not just three. Wire works, but I've seen so many horrible injuries, that to me it's not worth it. My mare coliced and panicked and went through a wire fence... she cut her back tendon in two. I've seen completely skinned hind legs due to wire... A panicked horse WILL go through whatever you put up.... sometimes it's better if it has some "give" in the fence for these situations. I wish you luck, and i'm sure that there is no such thing as a perfect fence, everything has a drawback. I think just wire would be bad, if you absolutely must use it at least reinforce with rails or electricity.

PaintHorseMares 05-22-2011 06:54 AM

I suggest 1/4" electric poly rope (not poly wire) fencing. Its not expensive, highly visible, flexible, and very easy to put up and maintain.

spirit88 05-22-2011 06:20 PM

I have twisted wire on the bottom and electric wire for the top strand its kept hot. Works well horses dont mess with it because of the hot wire. Iv done the 1/4 inch poly tape didnt work in the winter months we get lots of snow and ice and it would short out all the time. Worked great in summer highly visable if you live were you dont get snow would work great.

momo3boys 05-23-2011 04:33 PM

I use t posts and 2inch poly-tape on the top and the braided rope/wire on the bottom. As long as its hot it should be fine. My friend uses four inch plastic stuff, (I have no idea what it is called) for three rows. This is NOT electric and pretty strong but I'm thinking more expensive.

barrelracer892 05-23-2011 04:53 PM

The top wire of my fence is poly-tape and the bottom two strands are just regular smooth wire held with wood posts. I don't have my horses on it full time though because we don't have the electricity hooked up to it yet. The pasture I'm currently using is just t-posts with two strands of electric smooth wire. It was built quick and cheap, but it'll be getting a makeover one of these days. My horses haven't had a problem with not being able to see it, but that doesn't mean other horses won't either.

Saddlebag 05-23-2011 11:51 PM

You don't have to take this fencing down. Just run and electric wire on spacer type insulators and tie survey tape every 20' or so. Plug the fencer in. Horses sense the electricity in the wire. I'd hang the wire about 3' off the ground. This will stop the horses from reaching over as they will want to in the fall.