The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Questions about our new mini (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/questions-about-our-new-mini-87186/)

Makoda 05-22-2011 01:14 AM

Questions about our new mini

1 Attachment(s)
We are first time mini owners. We just bought this little guy today. He is 35 in. tall. He is suppose to be three and a stud, however when I checked him I couldn't find any testis. Is it likely he is already cut or are there other reasons for not finding them. He doesn't act study at all.

Next he is very skinny throughout his body with a pot belly and very hairy. Is this a sign he needs wormed or is this normal? Also can you give them a continuous wormer like equiaid cw or do paste wormers work best?

If I have any others I will post them later and thanks in advance.

Attachment 64604

Endiku 05-22-2011 09:32 PM

It really depends. I would check with his former owners to see how long they've had him. If he was bought by them and not born on the farm, there is a good chance that he has been cut, and someone failed to mention it. However, if he was born there, and these people are sure that they haven't cut him, I'd be concerned.

Sometimes a colt's testis won't decend until the colt is a year or two old, or only one will drop, leaving the horse looking gelding but really just not 'finished.' However, if he's three years old, I'm thinking theres probably a chance of him being a crypt. Try looking where the testis would be, and try to find a little flap where they would usually be located. If all you find is the flap, he's probably gelding. If you don't see it, he's probably a crypt. Testis should be fully decended by his age.

I'd say your best bet is calling a vet out to look at him. If he isn't studdy at all, he may of just been cut and someone (stupidly) failed to note that. (lets hope that the case, as it would make things a LOT cheaper and easier on you.) On the other hand, its better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck, and you might want to have a farrier out soon! ^^ looks to me like he needs a pedicure.

Makoda 05-22-2011 11:15 PM

Well that is the problem the people before us only owned him for a week and decided he wasn't what they wanted. And they only knew the info given to them which they have no idea how long they owned him. He does have the flap and my guess is he is gelded. He shows nothing towards other horses just acts like a dog.

I also take care of my own horses feet, so that was the first thing we did when we got him home was give his feet a trim. I think the neighbors got a kick out of that one cause of the size.

Endiku 05-23-2011 12:43 PM

He's probably gelded then ^^ just don't turn him out with any mares unless you have a vet double check and I think you're good to go xD