The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   jumping course critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/jumping-course-critique-87234/)

gypsygirl 05-22-2011 09:07 PM

jumping course critique

1 Attachment(s)
here is a short video of gypsy and i jumping a 6 jump course. let me know what you think !! she was a little sassy today, we havent jumped outside much this year and she LOVES it ! i flatted her for about half an hour and then jumped a cross rail a few times and then did the course, just like warm up at a horse show.

i am planning on eventing her this summer. our first event is mid july at BN level - 2'7".

here is also a pic of us, even though we are looking the wrong way ! =]

MyBoyPuck 05-22-2011 09:33 PM

1:23 is your best moment IMO. You're a bit up her neck on some of the other fences, but I'm not one to be critical about jumping ahead! I love that you've got her in a nice, connected canter between fences. She does look like she's having fun.

MyBoyPuck 05-22-2011 09:40 PM

Duh, I meant :56 seconds. Sorry, double shift again. Brain starting to turn off.

gypsygirl 05-22-2011 09:41 PM

thanks for the critique ! ive actually had a ducking/jumping ahead problem for a loooong time and im finally improving, but im definitely not perfect yet....

gypsygirl 05-22-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1043365)
Duh, I meant :56 seconds. Sorry, double shift again. Brain starting to turn off.

haha ya i was wondering about that =P

i liked my position better at the jump before that, but you really cant see that jump well in the video

MyBoyPuck 05-22-2011 09:42 PM

You're incredibly close to fixing it. Just keep your shoulders a smidge more open and you're there. Now can you show me how to do it??

gypsygirl 05-22-2011 09:45 PM

i hope so !

the trainer ive been riding with makes fun of me for 'riding like a hunter'

ErikaLynn 05-23-2011 11:05 AM

You bury your hands in your horses withers and you don't have a bend in your elbow sometimes when you are cantering, then you pick them up right before the fence. I think you should carry your hands the whole way through the course. You have a nice position over the fence...you do duck/jump ahead a little bit, but it's not really that noticeable.

Also at about :35 you come to that fence on a diagonal...I thought you were doing a broken line. You should try and come the the fence as straight as possible.

Other than that you look good. Good luck eventing this summer!

gypsygirl 05-23-2011 08:52 PM

thanks for the critique !

i have no idea why i bury my hands like that, other than she tries to 'root' and i just let it happen. i have been working on that with the trainer i ride with ! the goal is definitely to have my hands up the whole time.

we actually had a very straight line to that box, she just backed off it a little and bowed the last few strides, thats why it looks like a broken line. i probably should have taken it at a slight angle to begin with, but i didnt expect her to look at it.

maura 05-24-2011 07:41 AM

You like like a quiet, relaxed rider, and I really like the way you reestablished pace and rhythm in the turns without obvious rein aids. The trick is to carry that all the way around the course and between fences, not just on the turns.

Your mare quickens and flattens her pace 3 - 4 strides out in front of every fence, and that should be worked on, as it will get you in trouble later with related distances and technical combinations. Also, she tends to flatten her arc in the air. Does she like to avoid deep distances and rounding over her fences? I'm guessing that either she used to be quite forward all the way around the course; and it's a work in progress, or that you tend to stop riding for rhythm in front of the fence because you're thinking about something else.

Your little mare has plenty of jump, and I like her attitude. She'll probably be a blast to event. And while you have some things to work on; you will see many, many worse trips in stadium at BN than what you've posted above.