The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   posting issue (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/posting-issue-8725/)

saraequestrian 05-08-2008 04:23 PM

posting issue

this has nothing to do with my horse, it has to do with me.

when i post i post unevenly with my hips. is there any way to change that? I don't want to get marked down in shows or screw up my horse's back!

kickshaw 05-08-2008 04:26 PM

i would try bareback riding/ posting both at the walk and at the jog. Once you are comfortable with that, post the trot.

If you aren't comfortable riding bareback, just drop your irons and post the walk and jog - be sure that you are only rising from your knees and thighs, and not pulling your self up with your shoulders (or one hip at a time :wink: )

Good luck !!!!!

PoptartShop 05-08-2008 04:37 PM

I also would suggest riding bareback. :D It helps a lot with balance & posture. ;)

dustytrailzz 05-25-2008 04:00 AM

posting

I had a rider who did the same thing. After checking to see if her stirrups were even, she went to the chiropractor and found she needed a little work on her back and hips. Now she's straight as an arrow.

jazzyrider 05-25-2008 05:23 AM

what do you mean by posting unevenly with your hips? i dont think i get exactly what you mean

notorious_ 05-26-2008 03:27 PM

first of all, to get your balance better try riding your horse BAREBACK, or with out stirrups.
this will help you to rely mostly on your KNEES to post. which is what you should be doing.
when you rely on your stirrups you often times don't distribute your weight evenly and ETC.

so try riding with no stirrups and/or bareback for a few rides. mostly posting [although it will do you wonders to try loping with out stirrups/bareback to help your equitation]

and ALWAYS remember that you need to be UP while your horses inside leg goes up and when that leg goes down, you need to be down. RIGHT on cue.

GOOD LUCK!

saraequestrian 05-26-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious_
first of all, to get your balance better try riding your horse BAREBACK, or with out stirrups.
this will help you to rely mostly on your KNEES to post. which is what you should be doing.
when you rely on your stirrups you often times don't distribute your weight evenly and ETC.

so try riding with no stirrups and/or bareback for a few rides. mostly posting [although it will do you wonders to try loping with out stirrups/bareback to help your equitation]

and ALWAYS remember that you need to be UP while your horses inside leg goes up and when that leg goes down, you need to be down. RIGHT on cue.

GOOD LUCK!

yupp, other people have suggested that but thanks!

and I'm pretty sure you rise with the outside leg.

G and K's Mom 05-26-2008 04:51 PM

Re: posting

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustytrailzz
I had a rider who did the same thing. After checking to see if her stirrups were even, she went to the chiropractor and found she needed a little work on her back and hips. Now she's straight as an arrow.

I second this. Posting with one hip higher than the other is often a sign that your body is out of alignment. More so than being off balance.

jazzyrider 05-27-2008 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saraequestrian
Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious_

GOOD LUCK!

yupp, other people have suggested that but thanks!

and I'm pretty sure you rise with the outside leg.

you sure do :) i had some confusion about this a while ago as i have now been told both ways by different riding associations but you do rise with the outside leg moving forward

hanse004 05-27-2008 11:07 PM

I actually learned by looking at the inside shoulder as well and have taught all of my students that way. When the inside shoulder is "up"...meaning that foot is on the ground, you are "up".

I have also heard a cute saying though for teaching trotting diagonals by looking at the outside shoulder. I think instructors teach the way they were taught for the most part, but for instructors teaching outside shoulder...."Rise and fall with the one on the wall." Helps kids remember to always look at the outside shoulder or the one closest to the wall.