The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Video - gaiting and trotting standardbred :) (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/video-gaiting-trotting-standardbred-87275/)

Zab 05-23-2011 11:15 AM

Video - gaiting and trotting standardbred :)

I had Crow and me filmed today, we tried a little speed. :) Turned out we're not that fast.. xD
I just trailride, no showing, but it's always fun to have pictures..
There's some pacey thing the first seconds, he wasn't happy about dads car standing in the middle of the road :oops: Normally I discourage the pace but it's not always perfect.
I use the walk, slow gait-rack, trot and canter on the trail. There's some trot in the video too. I wanted to see how fast he could trot.. it's funny. He's bred to trot fast and this is the speediest trot he has left.. he was way faster when I first began to ride him.. :lol: it was also even less balanced than this so I'm not sad about it.

Does anyone else both trot and gait their horse? Around here, it's unthinkable not to trot a horse, gaited or not. I sort of like trotting once in a while too though.

Well, here goes. Play nice, I'm not a professional but I've done my best to get a happy horse. At least I think he prefers this over the slaughterhouse.. :wink:

http://www.elftown.com/stuff/hghgdhdh.jpg

http://www.elftown.com/stuff/fjdfdfffffffff.jpg

momo3boys 05-23-2011 02:20 PM

looks great! I am training my Rocky to do both trot and gait. Its interesting to say the least. It looks like you have a really great horse there.

Chi Lover 06-02-2011 05:05 PM

Would love to chat with anyone about standardbreds, gaits etc. I have had a standardbred mare for nearly 6 years now. Haven't gotten to ride her much for various reasons. Then this year I finally found a riding club and wouldn't you know it....I had decided to breed her so we were in the final stages of her pregnancy. So now we have a 1/2 Tennesse Walker colt and I am told that he is gaited and mama is not. So would love to discuss these topics. And see more videos to help me learn the difference. Really looking forward to riding my mare later this year, now that I finally have the means and company and health to do so! 951-681-2102 Teresa

NorthernMama 06-02-2011 09:33 PM

Don't you just love the OTstandies very special gait: the "PROT" -- are we pacing or trotting??? Or how about the "PANTER". ya. not. But when they get that racing trot or pace, it is totally wired to ride! I love both, but you do have to learn how to sit the pace or it feels like a washing machine! :)

Are you sure he was bred to trot? Unusual to see that kind of movement in a trotter.

smrobs 06-02-2011 11:43 PM

Zab, so glad to see you back!! I know absolutely nothing about gaiting breeds, but I think he looks great. Happy, fat, and fun :D.

tinyliny 06-03-2011 02:25 AM

Me know nothing about gaited horses, but you made that look great. Not fast? Fast to me.

candandy49 06-03-2011 08:15 AM

Enjoyed watching your video!! Crow looks like a very fun one to ride.

rockinD 07-03-2011 02:22 PM

Lovely! Looks like a very fun ride :) Oh, and a very beautiful horse.

Maybe someone can enlighten me here :wink:. I quit riding anything but gaited horses many, many years ago (except the horse I've bought my DD now but that's a different story). I went gaited for the whole purpose of avoiding the trot! It would KILL me if any of my gaited horses learned how to trot lol. So my question is WHY? (not meant to be serious as in a condescending kind of way, but seriously, why?)

Guilherme 07-03-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinD (Post 1084692)
Lovely! Looks like a very fun ride :) Oh, and a very beautiful horse.

Maybe someone can enlighten me here :wink:. I quit riding anything but gaited horses many, many years ago (except the horse I've bought my DD now but that's a different story). I went gaited for the whole purpose of avoiding the trot! It would KILL me if any of my gaited horses learned how to trot lol. So my question is WHY? (not meant to be serious as in a condescending kind of way, but seriously, why?)

Very lateral horses sometimes have trouble learning the canter. Learning to trot can help some horses pick up the canter (a three beat gait).

Some folks also participate in disciplines where the trot is mandatory (like competition Dressage).

G.

Shenandoah 07-03-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinD (Post 1084692)

I do it just for diversity. He's still figuring out how to use his feet correctly, so working on four gaits helps him figure out what to do with them, rather than getting some weird in-between thing.

It also helps me go trail riding with anyone. We can match whatever speed we need. We can ride with the gaited horses, we can ride with the trotters, and not be too far ahead or behind.

I've also started some low level Dressage with him, so I need a trot for that.

I like having an extra choice in my gait repertoire :)