The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Wearing Your Number (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/wearing-your-number-87281/)

queensonesock99 05-23-2011 12:49 PM

Wearing Your Number

Hey all. I'm new here! Hopefully will get lots of good info and share some too.

Quick question. I searched for this first but couldn't find anything so if you could either redirect me or answer that'd be great.

Seems like a silly question but I'm wondering how to fasten my number to my english jacket? I know shoe strings are used sometimes but is there any specific way to make it so the tails don't hang outside of the coat? Do they get tied to a button?

Thanks guys,
The new gal CP

Alwaysbehind 05-23-2011 12:51 PM

If you are tying your number on with a string like they do at hunter shows, run the string into a button hole and then tie the strings insider your jacket. Button the button and tuck all tails and such inside and it should stay just fine.

gigem88 05-23-2011 12:54 PM

I use magnets to secure my number. No holes in my jacket or western shirts!

aerie 05-23-2011 12:55 PM

Hey welcome! :)

Welllll when I would show I usually used four safety pins to secure my number to the back of my jacket, one on each corner, and it would stay pretty well :) I just pinned it so that the majority of the pin was on the inside (not sure how to explain this....) I have never heard of using shoe strings before.... although that would probably work as well! If you do that maybe take an old pair that you don' want and clip off the extra so the tails don't hang down :)

hope this helps

equiniphile 05-23-2011 04:17 PM

We use safety pins.

VelvetsAB 05-23-2011 04:29 PM

I use a string. We normally have to slide our numbers to the inside/outside, depending on where the judge is sitting/standing. I wouldn't be able to do that if it was pinned to my jacket.

MaryMary 05-24-2011 09:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For Hunters:

Tie it with a string. Loop the string around the button, go around your back and through the number, then come back to the front and put it through the button hold. button your coat. Make sure no loose ends are hanging out.

Here's a pic of front and back.

I've also seen some really pretty magnets on e-bay, which looked like a great idea and I'm sure would be seriously frowned upon in the hunter world.:wink:

MaryMary 05-24-2011 10:00 PM

For Hunters:

Tie it with a string. Loop the string around the button, go around your back and through the number, then come back to the front and put it through the button hold. button your coat. Make sure no loose ends are hanging out.

I'm trying to do pictures but really not sure if it worked.

upnover 05-25-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 1044027)
If you are tying your number on with a string like they do at hunter shows, run the string into a button hole and then tie the strings insider your jacket. Button the button and tuck all tails and such inside and it should stay just fine.

When I show in the hunters this is how I tie my numbers on. It's discreet with no strings hanging down and you can still slide your number left or right if the judge calls for it.

In the jumpers I pin the number onto my saddle pad.

corporate pride 05-26-2011 03:33 AM

in eventing in australia we have to wear a number all phases and it's a bib. what about velcro??