The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   First Riding Lesson (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/first-riding-lesson-87298/)

Moonstruck 05-23-2011 05:19 PM

First Riding Lesson

It's just a picture! But I just wanted to share with you guys how it went. I DO have a video but it's kinda long and shaky since the camera-man was walking with us the whole time. Theres a bit of talking other than just what my trainer is directing to me. So I might post it if theres enough wanting me to share it :)

But it went VERY GOOD for my first lesson :) Yeah it was just walking but I was good enough to be lead-less after the first 10 min but with someone close by if anything went wrong and my trainer was very good and patient with me. I just gotta remember to keep my left heel down, my right doesn't seem to be the problem as much.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._5427611_o.jpg
Straight Off the Mounting Block.. So no my posture wasn't like this the whole time haha!
Yes, the mounting block IS a tree stump. Can't get anymore stable than that :D
My trainer Katie Mcdaniel is the girl in the pink :)

MN Tigerstripes 05-23-2011 05:43 PM

That's great Moonstruck! You look great up there. What was your horse's name?

Moonstruck 05-23-2011 05:50 PM

Thanks MN! Oh an thats Abbey :) She's a character alright. When I first met her she was stank (had an attitude). When I lead her out of her stall (well, I tried and eventually succeeded) she was stank. When I tried to get her fly mask off she pinned her ears back just so that I couldn't get it off. RIGHT before I was going to clean her hooves, she pooped on the ground and stepped in it, then moved off to the side a bit and looked at it behind her, then back at me, like she was saying "HA! Pick up my poop! S L A V E." Then once I got on her. She was so perfect :D very sweet mount and she was patient with me but testy, as sometimes she needed a bit more of a nudge to go forward. I learned a lot from her within the short time frame :) I kind of didn't want it to end so soon! But I guess when we anticipated a 1 1/2 hr - 2 hr lesson we were thinking I was gonna be terrible! :) Luckily, I did a great job.

breezy17 05-23-2011 06:37 PM

Congrats! You and the horse are both lovely, and I hope you enjoy your lessons!

Wild Heart 05-23-2011 06:43 PM

Congratulations on your first lesson! Looks like it was a beautiful day and it sounds like it went well. Abbey is adorable and I'm sure she will teach you a lot even though she has some attitude unsaddled. http://serve.mysmiley.net/winking/winking0052.gif

Moonstruck 05-23-2011 08:57 PM

Thanks breezy & Wild Heart I think that she will have a lot to teach me in the coming months :) And yes it was quite gorgeous that morning!

kitten_Val 05-24-2011 07:36 AM

You DID ride before, didn't you? :wink: I mean "first lesson" sounds really confusing - you don't look like a beginner in your seat. Lol!

Glad it was nice and you liked it! :-)

serafina 05-24-2011 07:42 AM

Hooray! You guys look great! I love the tree stump, too...

Don't worry about spending a lot of time at a walk - you learn a lot of very important things at that pace. And be sure your horse knows who is boss...the one I ride was getting a tendency to be shirty, and I found out that I can't let him get away with anything, or he wants to get away with *everything*. The horse-handling skills on the ground will come with experience, though. It's good that they have you getting her out of the stall, grooming, etc. You'll really learn a lot that way, too.

And it's a great sign when you feel like things ended too soon!

Moonstruck 05-24-2011 09:44 AM

Kitten ~ Lol it really was my first but I kinda of surprised myself too, I didn't think it would feel so natural to me :) I suppose all of that reading and video watching did me well! I am so excited for my next lesson!

Serafina ~ yeah I am glad that I am somewhere that doesn't baby me or does everything for me :) and yeah I gotta learn to display dominance with a horse.. They are just so big! Lol. I think that being in the horse world is going to teach me a lot about myself and about sticking up for myself more. I'm a lover not a fighter ;) lol
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 05-24-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonstruck (Post 1044925)
Kitten ~ Lol it really was my first but I kinda of surprised myself too, I didn't think it would feel so natural to me :) I suppose all of that reading and video watching did me well! I am so excited for my next lesson!

Then I don't see any difficulties for you to move forward really fast (in your learning). You definitely look very natural on that pic. Good luck!