• I do it regularly

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Groundwork

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Solon 
#1 ·
Hello.
Maybe, as you know, I'm really interested in alternative ways to work with my horse. Especially I'm interested in any kind of groundwork like Schooling in Hand, Long Reins, Circus Work, lunging, and so on.
Well I want to know, if you do something like this with your horse? Or do you stricly ride or drive them?
I feel like it's really unusual to do things like that with horses. I only saw lots of people doing Horsemanship, but never saw some in circus work. Am I right? What do you think about?
I'm curious about it.
Sady

PS: Feel free to correct my english ;) I want to learn it *giggle*

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm a little confused on exactly what you are asking too. But If you taught your horse to sit :D I want to hear what you have to say! 8) OH... Your english is great! :wink:

#5 ·
I think Sadie is asking: Do you do ground work, unmounted, with your horse? i.e. long-reining, lunging, Parelli groundwork, etc.

In that case, I think it is essential for a horse's training that they know what you're asking from the ground.

I would love to do some trick-training, but have absolutely NO idea how to go about it!

#7 ·
I don't do any circus work or anything like that with my horse. I do a lot of flatwork though, & lunging. :D That kind of groundwork is good, I like it a lot!
That is pretty cool your horse has been taught to sit! :D

#8 ·
Yes, I enjoy doing ground work. I do very little of it though. I do some stretching and yielding exercises before every ride, but only for maybe 10 minutes. My horse doesn't do any tricks though.

#9 ·
Oh I'm sorry if I couldn't describe it well, you know, my english ;)
I meant, I feel like it's unusual to do groundwork with the horse, especially in US, when you are from germany *g* And I wanted to know if you do it with your horses. Is there a good description for my "circus thing" ?
Thank you, JustDressageIt, for your support. What do you want to teach your horse? I have a Website in German, maybe I can translate it. But it's hard. I tried it before but I failed. :( I teach people in doing circus and trick training with their horses, and in clickertraining ... It's not as hard as it looks like, but you really have to learn it by reading books about behaviorism and Clickertraining to have a theoretical foundation to practice.

Sady

#10 ·
Sady said:
Oh I'm sorry if I couldn't describe it well, you know, my english ;)
I meant, I feel like it's unusual to do groundwork with the horse, especially in US, when you are from germany *g* And I wanted to know if you do it with your horses. Is there a good description for my "circus thing" ?
Thank you, JustDressageIt, for your support. What do you want to teach your horse? I have a Website in German, maybe I can translate it. But it's hard. I tried it before but I failed. :( I teach people in doing circus and trick training with their horses, and in clickertraining ... It's not as hard as it looks like, but you really have to learn it by reading books about behaviorism and Clickertraining to have a theoretical foundation to practice.

Sady
The "circus training" you are referring to is known as "trick training" here :D
Your english is great, by the way - I have no trouble understanding it! Good for you for practising!!

As for which tricks I would like to learn: how to teach my horse to lie down, bow, shake her head... hehe I'm getting ahead of myself!

#11 ·
I do Parelli. The first level is all about groundwork and building a relationship with your horse. I have stopped riding until Vega and I build our foundation. The other levels are just building off of your foundation and making it into a partnership with your horse.

I did teach Vega to bow, by using carrots. She only puts her head between her front legs and move one leg forward a bit. I think it's really cool though.

Though i would LOVE to know how you taught your horse to sit.

#12 ·
@Appylover
To describe how to teach it in a few sentences is quite impossible, because it's a long way until a horse can sit. There is a scale of circus goes bow on both sides, kneel down, lay down, lay flat and at last to sit up from laying (not down ;))
Sady

#18 ·
although I don't do any trick training, I wouldn't even know where to start! :lol:

I love the fact that you are here on Horse forum! Sounds like you could have a lot of advise for us ! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.