The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Quick simple question for anyone who jumps. (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/quick-simple-question-anyone-who-jumps-87380/)

JamieLeighx 05-24-2011 04:59 PM

Quick simple question for anyone who jumps.

This might be one of the most stupidest question questions that has every been asked on here BUT here goes...

I have only every jumped 50cm and I kinda am a little nervous to go any higher. So back to the question is jumping say 50cm different to jumping 1m? obviously theres the height difference lol but does it feel different ,if you get what i mean.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sophie19 05-24-2011 05:51 PM

It depends on if the horse is making a big effort to get over the fence or not. Once you get high enough that your horse is having to really try to get over the fence, I think it feels a lot different. But anything lower than that all feels the same to me. For my horse everything from a cross rail to about 2'8 feels pretty much the same. But when we get up to three foot fences he has to make an effort to get over and I feel a big difference in impulsion and air time and such.

JamieLeighx 05-24-2011 05:58 PM

It looks like your up there forever lol :) I don't know what it is but anything above 50 im afraid im going to fall off and die!
Posted via Mobile Device

laurarachelle 05-24-2011 06:09 PM

You're not going to die! Don't jump higher if you don't feel comfortable, but I think if you stick with X's, higher fences won't look as scary as straight polls. If you have an experienced horse that is patient with you then you should be able to gain confidence with some time and lots of practice!
Good luck :)

Also, I agree with Sophie19 in regards to the height question.

JamieLeighx 05-24-2011 06:33 PM

Dealer , my horse is such a confidence giver :) He is such an angel , he's 16hh and my 11 year old sister jumps him with no problems. The only thing is he tends to rush into jumps , maybe he will gather himself up when it gets bigger?
Posted via Mobile Device

laurarachelle 05-24-2011 08:56 PM

I think this is the perfect project for you to tackle! There are many different exercises that you can find online or in books about slowing your horse down when he's rushing to a fence. You can work on this with him without making the jump any higher. Just make sure that your sister doesn't let him get away with it, or your training won't make any difference!
I wouldn't rely on higher fences to slow him down-- this is something that you should work on together now! :)

JamieLeighx 05-25-2011 03:18 AM

Thank you :) we are working on it and he was doing well but then my mum rode him and put us back to square 1 -__-
so we will be working on that :D
Posted via Mobile Device

upnover 05-25-2011 10:18 AM

A lot of it will depend on how much effort and bascule each horse has over the fence but generally yes, there is a difference as the jumps get higher! Your horse has to power over the jumps more and you can feel that thrust of your horse lifting off the ground. It can be fun! But if your position isn't secure it's very easy to lose your position. Also over the bigger fences it becomes even more important to be able to get to the correct distance. A lot of horses are scopey enough to get you out of trouble at 50 cm. But a meter? A wrong distance is a much bigger deal. A bad distance at say, 1.15 is a horrible horrible feeling and dangerous for both horse and rider.

JamieLeighx 05-25-2011 10:33 AM

Im not planning on jumping bigger any time soon , atleast to I am positive I will be able to hold my position :)
Posted via Mobile Device

upnover 05-25-2011 10:59 AM

that's a good decision!