The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Durasole users...question! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/durasole-users-question-87482/)

QHDragon 05-25-2011 09:09 PM

Durasole users...question!

Once you get your horse's feet less tender, how often do you have to reapply durasole to keep them that way?

bubba13 05-25-2011 09:32 PM

Very sorry because not only can I not answer your question, but I'm going to dip in and steal your thread with a related question of my own:

I'm applying straight 7% iodine to my mare's soles to toughen them up (once daily application). Can I apply it to the tops of her hooves as well? I know that I may not get any benefit from that, but I always have some extra left on the brush and it can't hurt--can it?

QHDragon 05-26-2011 07:46 AM

When I apply the durasole some of it inevitably gets onto the top of his hoof and I have seen no ill effects. I have been applying it now for 4 weeks.

bntnail 05-26-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHDragon (Post 1046917)
When I apply the durasole some of it inevitably gets onto the top of his hoof and I have seen no ill effects. I have been applying it now for 4 weeks.

Go to the website, durasole.com. Use untill it doesn't absorb, I usually reccomend daily for 7-10 days, then every 3rd day or so after. If it doesn't absorb, then your just wasting it.:wink:

bntnail 05-26-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1046645)
Very sorry because not only can I not answer your question, but I'm going to dip in and steal your thread with a related question of my own:

I'm applying straight 7% iodine to my mare's soles to toughen them up (once daily application). Can I apply it to the tops of her hooves as well? I know that I may not get any benefit from that, but I always have some extra left on the brush and it can't hurt--can it?

Don't apply to the wall. Will cause over drying.

Also use care around the frog, will dry out frog and cause premature shedding. Durasole however can be used on the frog.

QHDragon 05-27-2011 06:26 AM

Okay. I think Ive been applying it for about 4 weeks now. The past week it hadn't been absorbing as well, but would still eventually soak in. Not like before where I would have to work fast to get it spread out over the whole bottom of the foot. This week I haven't applied it at all and his frogs started to...fall apart? For lack of a better description. They are pealing like crazy, sometimes in rather alarming chunks and all have developed a groove down the middle of them. I am between farrier right now too. :( Going to call another one today. Hopefully I can get somebody out!