The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Trainer Certification Programs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/trainer-certification-programs-87484/)

ocalhoun 05-25-2011 09:15 PM

Trainer Certification Programs?

I'd like to learn how to train horses, not just to do it for myself, but to begin a career in it.
(I've done some training with my own horse, but I'd like some official experience and training.)
Luckily, I have a scholarship for $5,000 that can be used for (almost) any kind of certification.

So, does anybody know a good certification course I could take that is:
-Less than 1 month long
-Less than $5,000
-Worth taking
-Doesn't require much prior experience
-preferably close to South Dakota?

I've done some extensive searching online already, and the best thing I can find so far is that the 'parelli school' offers some certification programs.
That seems like it would work pretty well, but it isn't guaranteed yet that the scholarship will pay for it, I need to check.
If anybody knows of any other programs that exist (especially if they are accredited), please let me know!

*Oh, and before anybody mistakes my meaning, I want to train horses, NOT riders.
**And before anybody says that a certification is no substitute; yes, I know. I intend to begin by apprenticing to an experienced trainer... But since there's a possibility that I could do so for free, I'd like to get a 'leg up' by getting a certification, and some formal training.

Spastic_Dove 05-25-2011 09:18 PM

I honestly don't think you can learn enough in under a month about training horses to warrant spending 5k. I think it'd be a waste of money. Instead, I would spend the money on taking some courses at a local college: microbiology, artificial insemination, genetics,breeding, animal anatomy and physiology, business, marketing... any of those things (and plenty more) would be beneficial.

ocalhoun 05-30-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 1046636)
I honestly don't think you can learn enough in under a month about training horses to warrant spending 5k.

True, at least not enough to warrant spending 5k of my money... but what about spending 5k of other people's money that I can only use for that purpose?