The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Anyone tried Smart Calm Ultra for a calming supplement? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/anyone-tried-smart-calm-ultra-calming-87487/)

terry6970 05-25-2011 09:30 PM

Anyone tried Smart Calm Ultra for a calming supplement?

Hi All,

I have a horse that is spooky and gets really freaked out on the trail, very heardy, and any little thing sets her off. Along with training I'd like to try a calming supplement, so has anyone had luck with Smart Calm Ultra Pellets? The testimonials look good, but don't know how staged they may be. Thanks!

Cinnys Whinny 05-26-2011 05:07 PM

I've recently tried SmartCalm with Cinny as lately he has been prone to some "temporary insanity" moments. He seems to be doing well on it. It's not making him "druggy" or anything, in fact you can't really tell that he has been given anything except that he does seem to concentrate on his work a lot better and is less prone to outbursts. It doesn't make a HUGE impact, so don't expect that, for instance he has always been scared in the wash rack of our new stable and still is, he just has a slightly milder reaction. He also freaked at a dead raccoon on trail last week too, but again, he had a more controllable reaction to it.

I hope this answers your question.

tanya 05-26-2011 05:14 PM

I should try that on our throughbred. She is so high strung and very b****y maybe it will help her chill out a bit. As soon as her foal is off her she is going to boot camp.

terry6970 05-26-2011 08:40 PM

Thanks for giving me your experience with the product. I am anxious to try it, although I was hoping for more of a drugged reaction. :wink: I'd prefer her to be one step above sleeping, but I guess then maybe I should ride a sloth or something. No seriously though I hope it takes the edge off like it did for you because I definitely have a drama queen on my hands.

Cinnys Whinny 05-26-2011 09:07 PM

Just remember, it can take about 2 weeks for an effect and it is NOT a drug, it's vitamins and the such so that's why you don't really have a "drugged" reaction. Around here it is even show legal because it's not really a drug.

wetrain17 05-31-2011 11:36 AM

I had a mare that was locked up over the winter because of a suspensory injury. She would spin around in her stall when i turned everyone else out. I put her on a product called Relax Her (they also make Relax Him). It is an herbal supplement and it really helped out.

spookychick13 06-05-2011 11:29 AM

I use it on Brandon, it seems to 'take the edge off' his spookiness. :)

Cinnys Whinny 06-05-2011 05:34 PM

Today we had a good test. I was riding Cin on trail where the brush has gotten thick and is about 4 to 4.5 feet high in some places among the trees. 4 Deer jumped out at us last minute before running on down the path and Cin reared straight up but instead of his usual whirl around and bolt home he instead came down, snorted at the deer and walked on as if to say "oh, it's only stupid little deer."

terry6970 06-05-2011 10:49 PM

That sounds like a much better reaction! Good news. Actually I just got my shipment and am going to start tommorrow. Thanks for the positive story.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shasta1981 06-05-2011 11:16 PM

Subbing to this thread! Glad to hear all of this. I have a tub of it coming in the mail and am ready for some good results!