The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   New Older Mare...still skinny (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/new-older-mare-still-skinny-87500/)

aspenmydream 05-25-2011 11:55 PM

New Older Mare...still skinny

In January I decided to go ahead with my purchase of a 18yr old mare that was skinny. I've taken in poor horses before, so I figured it would be no problem, that she just needed time and food. Well, it's May and although she is better than in January I am very displeased and becoming discouraged :cry:.
Her teeth have been checked and all is well. Her feed has been switched to Purina Senior. She's on free-range pasture plus gets hay. I've tried Hard Keeper Supplement and now we are trying her on Cool Calories 100 supplement(was 2 scoops a day now 3 scoops a day). She doesn't get ridden because her topline is too prominent and I feel that probably causes her discomfort. She does get lunged on an occasion to build muscle, but NEVER gets worked hard or long.
It is time for her to be wormed and I am considering SafeGaurd Power Dose. Do you do this for 5 consecutive days?? Is this the best option considering we are getting 95 degree weather now??
Other than her weight she seems happy/healthy. She's registered, but does have TB in her bloodline. Perhaps this is why she's a hard keeper plus her age? I'm not use to this at all!! My two geldings are very stocky! I just feel terrible for her!

Thanks for all suggestions!!

beauforever23 05-26-2011 12:09 AM

have you had a vet out? I would suggest having the vet pull some blood. You could give her a priobotic though or maybe vegi oil.

corinowalk 05-26-2011 12:11 AM

Has she been wormed before the powerpac? That could be your problem right there.

aspenmydream 05-26-2011 12:30 AM

She hasn't been on the powerpac or power dose before. I'm thinking of doing the SafeGuard Power Dose. Just wondering if that's a good option.
Her weight issue is mostly around her topline, tailbone (a little bit), and hips.

Vet hasn't been out yet. If things don't change fast, he/she will be comming. I need answers and for her to get better!!

aspenmydream 05-26-2011 12:31 AM

But yes, she has been wormed before.