The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Hunter to Eventer! (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/hunter-eventer-87540/)

amymarie57 05-26-2011 06:21 PM

Hunter to Eventer!

The Introductory Rant:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but...

I had been taught hunters all through elementary school and a portion of middle school. I assumed that was the only way to ride (with the forward seat and all) when jumping because it's all I have ever known in my area.

But this past year (now in college) I've gotten back into riding at a different barn where my instructor is more eventing oriented. He teaches us the "full seat" I think it's called? I'm horrible with descriptions sorry lol. He says it's safer, and he wants to teach us to "ride from the saddle". I totally agree with him and I can't imagine going back to that forward seat. The horse I currently ride has given me a couple sudden refusals and I KNOW I would soar off if I was in the hunt seat. I feel like sitting in my seat to the jump rather than leaning forward and anticipating it is making me more defensive and confident rider.

The Question:
What I want to know is, is this an uncommon way to teach? Is it any better or worse compared to the hunter position? I've heard from hunters that they "want you off the horses back" but then doesn't that make you ON the horses neck because I've seen some girls hunching over and putting all the weight on the forehand and it just looks weird. Am I brainwashed by this technique or is it truely a good thing? I just want to know because I'm really loving it and I don't want to be taught the wrong way.

Shasta1981 05-26-2011 07:23 PM

While you should still be moving into a two point position for a jump and not actually sitting in the saddle (perhaps you meant that you are carrying yourself up over the jump instead of collapsing on the horse's back?), it sounds like your new trainer is incorporating more dressage into your riding which, in my opinion, is wonderful. Congrats on your epiphany!

gypsygirl 05-26-2011 07:24 PM

welcome to the dark side =] [eventing !]

there is absolutely nothing wrong with riding in a forward seat ! actually when you ride cross country you want to spend pretty much the whole course out of your saddle. i have found that neither the forward seat or the full seat it better, but different riders and different horses go better in different seats. just because you ride out of a forward seat does not mean you are at a disadvantage when it comes to staying on, if you are riding correctly you will be just as secure.

personally i like jumping out of a forward seat. it is not really about leaning forward, but more about how the weight is distributed between your pubis and your two seat bones. in a full seat you have equal weight on all three, but in a forward seat you have more weight on your pubis than your seat bones. this is caused by tipping your pelvis forward, rather than standing up or leaning forward.

amymarie57 05-26-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasta1981 (Post 1047436)
While you should still be moving into a two point position for a jump and not actually sitting in the saddle (perhaps you meant that you are carrying yourself up over the jump instead of collapsing on the horse's back?), it sounds like your new trainer is incorporating more dressage into your riding which, in my opinion, is wonderful. Congrats on your epiphany!

Good catch :-P, I'm doing dressage for the first half of my lesson and jumping the other half :). Only the absolute basics though, I have a hard time feeling that "connection" and keeping that banana bend. I feel so out of the loop because I have ridden for 10 years and I know nothing about dressage or cross country:shock:!! BUT THAT WILL CHANGE! I am just so excited!

amymarie57 05-26-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 1047438)
welcome to the dark side =] [eventing !]

there is absolutely nothing wrong with riding in a forward seat ! actually when you ride cross country you want to spend pretty much the whole course out of your saddle. i have found that neither the forward seat or the full seat it better, but different riders and different horses go better in different seats. just because you ride out of a forward seat does not mean you are at a disadvantage when it comes to staying on, if you are riding correctly you will be just as secure.

personally i like jumping out of a forward seat. it is not really about leaning forward, but more about how the weight is distributed between your pubis and your two seat bones. in a full seat you have equal weight on all three, but in a forward seat you have more weight on your pubis than your seat bones. this is caused by tipping your pelvis forward, rather than standing up or leaning forward.

Thankyou for clarifying that different horses prefer different seats styles! I was hoping it varied so that there wasn't a right and a wrong way when it comes to the forward seat and the sitting seat. Thankyou for the pelvic bone explanation too!

Do you think judges prefer a seat over another? Like in hunter shows I imagine I'd be docked points for sitting the canter but in eventing does it matter as much?

Shasta1981 05-26-2011 07:47 PM

Oooo keep working for the connection, it's so worth it! You will have a blast!

VelvetsAB 05-26-2011 08:03 PM

The only thing in eventing that is judged is the dressage, which is a different seat then what you use for jumping anyways.

Stadium and CC are timed events.

If you look at the international level of riders in show jumping...(this is not 100%, but seems fairly common) is that American/Canadian riders ride in the more forward seat, and Europeans seem to ride in the deeper seat. Both are perfectly acceptable. Neither is wrong.

Coaches normally teach what they learned/liked the best. We, as students, have to learn what to take from our coaches, and seperate out the things that do not work for us. If you learn something at a clinic that you feel that you like better, then keep that.

MIEventer 05-27-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amymarie57 (Post 1047400)
The Introductory Rant:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but...

I had been taught hunters all through elementary school and a portion of middle school. I assumed that was the only way to ride (with the forward seat and all) when jumping because it's all I have ever known in my area.

But this past year (now in college) I've gotten back into riding at a different barn where my instructor is more eventing oriented. He teaches us the "full seat" I think it's called? I'm horrible with descriptions sorry lol. He says it's safer, and he wants to teach us to "ride from the saddle". I totally agree with him and I can't imagine going back to that forward seat. The horse I currently ride has given me a couple sudden refusals and I KNOW I would soar off if I was in the hunt seat. I feel like sitting in my seat to the jump rather than leaning forward and anticipating it is making me more defensive and confident rider.

The Question:
What I want to know is, is this an uncommon way to teach? Is it any better or worse compared to the hunter position? I've heard from hunters that they "want you off the horses back" but then doesn't that make you ON the horses neck because I've seen some girls hunching over and putting all the weight on the forehand and it just looks weird. Am I brainwashed by this technique or is it truely a good thing? I just want to know because I'm really loving it and I don't want to be taught the wrong way.

Your coach is correct - when you are out on the CC course, you want a full seat and yes, it is safer because you can feel your horse under you, and you are solid and at the verticle isntead of forward.

When I ride under Top Level Eventers in cliniques, they all teach to sit 5 strides out from the fence - sit, wrap your legs around your girth, tall upper body and drive.

You cannot ride a XC fence the same way you ride a stadium - two different fences, two different styles, two different scenario's. If you come off at a fence, they wont be forgiving as they would be in the stadium ring.

You can always pin point the "hunters" out on the CC course because they ride in a forward seat. You will get into trouble with this seat when you get to bigger and more demanding fences.

VelvetsAB 05-27-2011 12:08 AM

*blushes...looks down at the ground and mumbles so MIE can't hear her*

I do the hunter thing when I am hunting, and I shouldn't. Definitely in a hunter position, instead of eventing position. The Shame!

MIEventer 05-27-2011 12:16 AM

I wouldn't beable to tell Velvet, cause I wear rose coloured glasses when I look at you :) :P