The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   New colt malnourished... :/ (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/new-colt-malnourished-87576/)

fresh paint girl 05-27-2011 09:23 AM

New colt malnourished... :/

I recently just bought an 11 month old thoroughbred colt and his mom.
The 2 belonged to our barn owner who wanted nothing to do with them. The dam is 18 years and off the track. We spent the last 2 months getting weight back on her which shes come along nicely. My problem is the colt. I fell in love with him months ago and just recently i was able to talk the barn owners into letting us take them but hes now going on 12 months and is not weaned from his mom.... Im worried about the lack of nutrition hes had till the time i started caring for him and what kinds of effects i should be looking for growth wise.... :/ Any suggestions??? He is not my first horse but hes the only one ive started in this bad of condition.

fresh paint girl 05-27-2011 11:48 AM

This takes you too Lily's album on my profile

Lily's album on facebook http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...688.1391037591

Endiku 05-27-2011 12:33 PM

I'm unable to see the album- facebook rarely works on here. Can you upload some via tinypic/photobucket?

If the colt is going on a year old, the first thing that you need to do is SEPERATE HIM FROM HIS DAM they should NOT be together still. Especially if he is still a stud. I am very glad that you have taken him in. It sounds as if no one gave him the time of day where he was.

Once you've seperated them, you need to completely evaluate him. First, I would weigh him. If you don't have a scale, use an estimation chart such as this one. Estimate Your Horse's Weight you then need to determine what he SHOULD weigh. You can do this by consulting a vet, or a horse nutritionist. If he is more than twenty pounds under what he should be, (I really have no clue what condition he is in, as I have seen no pictures) I would advise in talking to the vet or nutritionist and making a dietary plan for him. I'm sure that if he was in a pasture with his mother, he grazed- or if he was in a stall, he most likely took some of her food. (probably another reason she was underweight) So you shouldnt have to worry about him not knowing what to eat.

Yearlings- especially colts, do much of their growing between a year and two years old, so it is vital that you give him the right feed. Yearlings should generally get 1-1 1/2 pounds of food per 100 pounds of weight per day, plus unlimited, good quality haylage, but I would talk to the professionals. They'll know exactly what he needs.

I don't suspect that he will have too many growth problems if you catch this right now. There is a possibility of stunted growth if his mother's milk didn't have enough nutrience and he didn't get much roughage or anything, but he most likely battled for it and got most of what he needed. Either way, there isn't too much that you can do for a horse who's growth was stunted, besides being more careful with their early training when you begin to saddle train (as their bones may not be completely developed at the usual 3-4 years) I'd say just get a good feeding plan for him right now, and you won't have a problem. Those guys snap back pretty quick!

good luck!

oh, and also- it might do you some good to read this article. I found it very helpful.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/horse/c...onWY_08456.pdf

fresh paint girl 05-27-2011 12:45 PM

he is being seperated from his dam tomorrow
we just finally bought them last weekend after we got the owners to sign them over to us
The Dam Lily was about a one on the body score condition
he wasnt far behind both were heavily infested with worms and were treated a month ago
they are also infested with lice -.- mind you they have been in with our herd at the boarding facility so weve had a constant battle with that for the last 2 months
none of our other horses have shown up with any though :)
Ive talked to several vets and nutritionists but they all seem to be giving me the same thing saying start him on vitamins and probably junior feed and i guess what im really looking for is anything anyone has tried
we are moving them to our barn as of tomorrow morning with our group because we are sick of the lack of care :/
I cant upload any pics from photo bucket :/ ive been trying but my computer doesnt agree with it
Im excited to get him and his mom seperated he takes it fine she does not
ive slowly been working on getting him away from her
so far Lily is our worst case health wise :/
Sorry i kinda ranted XD

fresh paint girl 05-27-2011 01:06 PM

I forgot to mention he was started on performance feed ( mom's idea ) and his dam on Senior which she has blossomed :) shes now at a solid 3

fresh paint girl 05-27-2011 02:29 PM

Lily's photos 1 week, 3 weeks, and 5 weeks, Sexy man when i first saw him and now

Pictures by FreshPaintGirl01 - Photobucket

Endiku 05-27-2011 06:18 PM

Oh my goodness. He WAS in bad condition! When you said malnourished I was thinking along the lines of 10-20 pounds under. Not that. Poor baby. The things people do to their horses x.x so glad you took them in. They're already looking much better! He's got absolutely NO muscle though. Does he run and play?

Performance feed is probably a good route to take, as it is high calorie/high nutrience as long as you buy the right brand. I would probably use Legend Grow and Perform or something along that lines, along with that roughage =]

fresh paint girl 05-27-2011 07:09 PM

Hes starting to play a lot more now. He terrorizes some of the older horses and now that he has more energy
that little guy can really run :shock:
It both him and his dam are coming a long very nicely thought :)
and last weekend we got them to sign the papers over to us since
most of their animals look pretty bad
Lily was the worst other than the stallion :/
Has anyone had any experience with grow colt or other vitamin supplements?

Hunter65 05-27-2011 07:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Awe so glad he has a new home. Sounds so much like my old barn. When I first adopted Hunter he was 18 months old and malnourished (though not as bad as this guy) needed to be gelded AND a hernia operation. His muscles had atrophied due to lack of exercise as he was kept in a small pen and basically ignored. I fed him a locally made feed called Fat smart (14% protein & 12% fat) which has no molasses or grain in it which really worked well at putting the weight on without him getting super hyper and then I switched to Fibersmart (14% protein & 5% fat). He had free choice hay for the first few months and gets vitamins and ground flax in his dinner. I was worried about Hunter growing and although we knew he would never be huge he has progressed to 14.3 and is still growing and filling out.

This was him at 18 months
Attachment 64961

This was 9 months later
Attachment 64962

This was last summer a year later, he is even bigger and stockier now but I don't have a recent pict without his llama fur.
Attachment 64963

fresh paint girl 05-27-2011 07:40 PM

Awww Hunter is so cute!! :D
Im hoping my little guy grows up nicely.
Tomorrow we are moving the horses to a new barn we are leasing. it has 12 acres of pasture all super nice condition the grass is pretty long so they are all going to be in the small pasture which has less grass so we can hopefully minimize the risk of a horse colicing. and all of them get their very own nice big stalls. :)

it could be interesting with the trailer though :shock:
hes never seen one