The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Hauling on the beach (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/hauling-beach-87628/)

drafts4ever 05-27-2011 11:59 PM

Hauling on the beach

This might be just a silly question but I thought I'd ask anyway. I am attending a massive photo shoot and I will be bringing my girl Legacy and a friends horse Mikie. We will be hauling onto the beach and I was wondering any tips and tricks to not sink?
We're going to Ocean Shores if anyone has been there before? It's on the coast in Washington State. Other than staying out of the deep sand and the water anything special I should know before doing this? I'm guessing it's going to be different than regular road driving so anyone that is used to driving on the beach please let me know if there's something special I should know.
Thanks bunches! :D

BlondieHorseChic 05-28-2011 12:04 AM

Never trailered on the beach, but have been in a car. Try to follow tire tracks since the sand is already pretty packed in the tracks. Bring a big shovel just incase. (NOT a sand shovel. Iv seen people try to dig cars out with those, it gets you nowhere.)
Best of luck!

drafts4ever 05-28-2011 12:34 AM

A sand shovel like those little thing to build castles with?! yeah that wouldn't help. I'll pack one of the barn shovels. I've driven my car on the beach before but that was a long time ago.

RitzieAnn 06-09-2011 02:36 PM

Ocean shores is amazing to ride on!! Got room for me too? Lol. Driving (in general) on the damp sand is better, its packed. The dry stuff tends to trap more people. But don't drive where the water is going over it.

Where are you hauling from? I'm up in Whatcom county, 1.5-2 hrs north of Seattle.
Posted via Mobile Device

faye 06-09-2011 03:57 PM

Park in the carpark and walk the horses down.

Thats what we do at our local beach.

Saddlebag 06-09-2011 04:45 PM

A friend parked on the beach about 50' from the water. The tide started coming in so he went to move his van. It sunk to the axles and it took two tow trucks in tandem to get him out. Then he had to have all the sand removed from the wheels.. Apparently the sand underneath became saturated but the water appeared 40 ' away.

MyBoyPuck 06-12-2011 06:25 PM

If the sand is hot, you have to greatly deflate your tires down to pretty much not nothing or they will overheat and explode. Not sure what your beaches are like over there. On Cape Cod, to get a beach permit, it requires you run at 5 psi.

drafts4ever 06-13-2011 08:00 PM

Ocean shores is nice but not too bad to drive on apparently. I called one of the people that organizes the trail ride rent a horse type things and they said just follow the tire marks. Since we will be taking breaks and tying the horses walking them down to the beach isn't a very practical option because I want them in my site at all times. I guess the beach access we are using has a horses and trailers only designated spot for parking so that's good. We are going to check it out on Thursday. We are doing the ocean city beach access because crazy sand drivers will be stopped before entering that portion. I guess it's great for horses and other animals because of the no motorized vehicles rule for that section. I'm very excited! I was a bit worried about the beach driving but so far I've been told just be slow normal and stay out of the water. Besides we are allowed to put a no pass zone on that section of the beach with cones if we want to avoid pedestrian photo fails according to beach and animal control.
Posted via Mobile Device

AQHA13 06-13-2011 08:34 PM

It's usually easier to park right at the beach access and not drive onto the beach. That way you don't have to worry about the tide catching you or getting stuck(which really SUCKS!) But, if you're determined to drive onto the beach, as you drive off the road into the sand(which is usually the dry deep stuff), gun it! Give it lots of gas because it sorta sucks you down. Being such a large vehicle, you have to keep you're momentum going or else you may et stuck. Once you get onto the compact stuff you'll be perfectly fine, it's just getting past that one spot.

smrobs 06-13-2011 08:59 PM

Another thing to think about is unloading the horses before driving into the sand and having someone either hand walk them to the location or ride/pony them, that will lessen the drag significantly and you can drive a little more aggressively without worrying about the horses.

Other than that, momentum will be your best friend. Pick up a bit of speed before you get to the sand (hence why I suggested unloading :wink:) and let the momentum help you through. The slower you go, the more chance you have of getting bogged down and stuck.

We don't have sandy beaches, but we do have very sandy pastures LOL.