The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Mustang brands? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/mustang-brands-87629/)

vikki92 05-28-2011 12:11 AM

Mustang brands?

Ok this might be a dumb question, but I have a mustang and i was just wondering if theres anyway to find out where he came from, from his brand, im guessing not becasue it just looks like a white strip, but I thought i would just ask and see if theres any possible way. lol.

smrobs 05-28-2011 01:10 AM

If you can read his brand (sometimes shaving it helps quite a bit), then you can get the general area where he was captured. Here is their website with all the information.
Freezemarks

Eolith 05-28-2011 01:44 AM

Yes, using the link and the info that smrobs has given you, it is possible to tell the age of the mustang and what state he was captured in. Also, if you are able to read the registration number I believe that you can contact that state's BLM office and request even more detailed information, such as exactly which herd management area the mustang comes from and when he was gathered. Finally, with the registration number on the brand, I believe you can also become the mustang's registered owner complete with a title of ownership for a "reassigment fee" of $25.

((I took the liberty of looking at the picture you've posted of your mustang's brand and I believe that it says he was born in '05. The rest I couldn't really tell... you'll probably need to shave all of the hair off in that area to be able to really see the markings clearly.))

vikki92 05-28-2011 02:20 AM

WOW! thank you both very much. I am just very courus about him, He was giving to me at random from a friend of a friend lol. and he didnt know anything about him. I'm diff. going to try and see if i can read his brand.