The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Skin problem (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/skin-problem-8766/)

Micki O 05-09-2008 08:00 PM

Skin problem

My 26yr arabian - DB - is getting little abcess like sores. They start as a small patch of missing hair then within a day or so they open and are weeping. The first 1 appeared the day after the vet was here last week. I had showed her the rubbed spot and she said it was just that - a place where the hair got rubbed off. The next day it was open. I have been watching him and he's not rubbing against anything. After I clean and spray the sores with Furall Wound Spray - the neon yellow stuff - they dry up and start to heal in a day or so. He's had 6 of them to date - 2 on the side of the nose about 6 inches apart, 1 on the inside flare of the nostril, 1 on the shoulder, 1 in the hip and the first 1 on the side of his belly. All but 1 have been on his right side. None of them are bigger than a dime. They don't seem the be painful and it doesn't bother him when I treat them. Any ideas? His pasture mate by the way is having no problems at all.

country_girl 05-10-2008 06:10 AM

hmm i don't know, maybe he is allegic to something in ur paddock. how long has ur horse had the problem is it just recent or not??

crackrider 05-10-2008 06:42 AM

The only thing i can think of is an allergy to something. Is there something new around him that wasn't there before that he could be allergic to?

Micki O 05-10-2008 08:15 AM

He's been in the pasture for over 3 months. The only thing different is I used that Equine Spot fly repellant on him about 3 weeks ago. You apply it on the forehead, backs of all 4 legs and down the center of the back and its suppose to work for 2 weeks. It has citrinella oil and the same insecticide in it that the spray I use has but he freaks when you spray him so I figured I'd try it. Think he's allergic to that? I'd think the sores would be close to the application site if that was it.
And the 1st sore he got was a week ago.

Vidaloco 05-10-2008 09:57 AM

Gosh I have no idea what that could be unless its some sort of ant or spider bites. Maybe its were he had a tick attached and the bugger died after the spot on application. :?

Ryle 05-10-2008 09:59 AM

It really doesn't sound like an allergy and if it were you are right that the skin lesions would be at the application sites.

Possibly summer-sore. http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-he...y-defense.aspx

Micki O 05-10-2008 12:10 PM

Thanks for the wed site but the issues discribed there don't match what DB has. If I discover another one forming I'll try to get pictures of it from the rub stage to the open stage. There is no sign of flies or ticks on him. I do have a couple ant mounds in the pasture that I don't know how to get rid of - all the stuff I've looked at says its harmful to animals. Again though I'd think if it was ants causing the sores they'd be located more on his legs.
I read on 1 of the other threads about using apple cider vinager on their feed and in their water to repell ticks and flies. I figure its worth a try. If it is ants maybe it will help with them too.

Vidaloco 05-10-2008 12:41 PM

I don't know if humans and horses react the same to ant bites. I got attacked last year by some. At first it sort of blistered/welted and then a sore appeared. I think they can get bit just about anywhere if they lay down near a hill. Again just a guess.

love-a-hero 05-13-2008 12:35 AM

eek. I thout it would be some sort of reaction too... do you have pictures?