The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   OMG exciting news! Sad news, pg 9 :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/omg-exciting-news-sad-news-pg-8767/)

appylover31803 05-09-2008 08:08 PM

OMG exciting news! Sad news, pg 9 :(

Our co-worker found a 4 acre horse property for rent for $2,000 a month! Tom and I drove by it today, called up the real estate agent and we're looking at it tomorrow at noon! I am like UBER EXCITED!!!

It's a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath house with a 2 car attached garage!
If we like it (which i'm sure we will) we're going to rent it!
I'm like jumping for joy!

But now comes all the horse related questions. I'm assuming they have pastures there, how do we go about having Gem and Vega on grass? As of right now they're turned out in small dirt paddock and have no grass to graze on? Should we let them out for like a hour a day and then slowly progress to being turned out all day?

How well do you think they'll cope from being turned out individually to being turned out together? What about it just being the 2 of them?

I don't know the feed their are on right now, but if and when we move them, we'll get like a month's supply of their food, would it be ok to gradually switch them?

I know Gem and Vega have been on a trailer before, but not while we've had them. How should we go about trailering them, and then what do we do when we get them there? Also, what kind of protection should they have on them (ie blankets, shipping boots?)

The drive from the barn to the property will be about 10-20 min.

Any other information that anyone has, please share!
thanks so much!

sempre_cantando 05-09-2008 10:15 PM

Wow! Thats pretty exciting! I have my horse kept on my property only 15 metres or so from our house. Close enough that we can hear them whinnying when the want to be fed :lol:

You're right, definately don't turn them out straight on the grass, introduce it slowly like 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 2 hrs, 3 hrs, 4hrs, 5 hrs per day or something so they don't colic. You might want to go even slower if they are prone to colic (like my horse :?). Sometimes it works better if you don't have them out to grass all the time as they can get too fat - 6 hours or something may be better. But I think you'll be the best judge of that coz you know them best.

Yes it will be fine to gradually switch feeds, its only a problem if you try to do it too fast.

I think they'll be fine just the two of the together - or have they never been turned out together before? So long as they have each other they shouldn't be lonely.

For floating, practise loading them on and off of floats so that when you want to move them, they'll be happy to go in.

Good luck!

appylover31803 05-09-2008 10:30 PM

Thanks so much for the reply!

We found other pictures and it looks like the paddock is dirt, so we shouldn't have to worry about the grass.

I'll see if we can set up something with our current barn about loading them.

They've never been turned out together, but we have ridden and grazed them together. I think at first they're going to have to get used to sharing, but i don't see any real negative things. It looks like there *might* be another pasture, so if need be, we'll separate them.

Do you do the same thing for feeding hay? Slowly introduce the new hay? How exactly do you slowly do that? give them 2 flakes of the old 1 of the new?

PoptartShop 05-09-2008 10:36 PM

Aww, that's great to hear, Appy! I hope it all works out for you. :)

sempre_cantando 05-09-2008 10:42 PM

when introducing new hay to our horses, I do the following, but maybe i'm over cautious because my horse colics easily. I do it over ten days so:

day 1: 9/10 old hay, 1/10 new
day 2: 8/10 old, 2/10 new
day 3: 7/10 old, 3/10 new

and so on, this has never given my horse colic. I always feel its best to be on the safe side, don't know how you feel about it.

appylover31803 05-09-2008 11:11 PM

Thanks Pop!

To my knowledge neither of them has coliced, but i want to play it extra save. Vega has hypp, and i dont want the move or anything else upsetting her, stressing her out too much and causing an attack. I think i would die if she had an attack.

Gem seems to be good, but i'll do it the same way for him too. I like your method of doing it, to gradually do it over 10 days.

Thank so much!

Vidaloco 05-10-2008 09:37 AM

Thats just so wonderful Appy. I hope it works out for you. I still think you need to move to Kansas, there is a farm house for rent down the road from us with probably 5 acres for $500 a month :shock: :lol:
I'm sure you know I am moving my girls to grass at the moment. I do the 1 hour 2 hour 3 hour routine till they are on all day. I bring them back in at night most of the summer though.
As far as hay, I never do any gradual introductions. They are always on some sort of grass hay, either prairie or brome, so I never felt the need. Any time I have switched feeds I do it over a weeks time mixing in a little of the new till its all new. I buy 150 Lbs of feed at a time. enough to fit in a very large metal trash container. Mice can't chew through metal :)
We never use shipping boots/rugs of any type to trailer ours either. I think with that short of a distance they should be ok. Thats entirely up to you and what you feel comfortable with though.
One thing you will want to look for at the new place is the availability of water and electricity near where you will keep the horses. Its nice if its close so you don't have to carry buckets or run massive amounts of hose to get them water.

If you absolutly love the place it would be nice if you could do a rental with the option to buy :D Just a thought

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-10-2008 10:59 AM

I would'nt worry about the trailer ride at all.. 10-20 min is such an easy ride. I would by no means go get blankets and boots. unless you already had them or wanted to borrow some but its not necessary.

Gradually change the feed over like a week's time.

Don't be surprized if your horses get a bit of diahrea from the green grass if they are not used to it. Ours did when the grass grew up so fast this yr. they're fine now.

I'd trun them out and see what happens. They are gonna figure out who's dominant but hopefully they will be fine! Good luck!

appylover31803 05-10-2008 11:15 AM

Thanks Vida and Dumas!

We are going today in 2 hours! I can't wait. I would LOVE if there was an option to buy. That would just be awesome!

The ad says they have running water at the barn, but i'll definitely ask questions and look when i'm there. I would hate to lug water buckets too. But from the deck, you can see the horses, which i think is just awesome!

Vida, i would love to come to kansas and rent 5 acres for $500!...And we thought this place at $2000 was cheap! :)

I doubt i'll put anything on them when they trailer.. maybe Vega's little blanket, but i doubt it. She'll go naked! :lol:

That's what i was thinking Dumas, to turn them out together and just see what happens. But what do i look for if they aren't getting along? If there's a lot of running around and kicking at each other? Or if someone draws blood? I mean, they are going to be living next to each other, and there should be plenty of room for Gem to have his space and Vega to have hers.

If anyone's interested, here's an ad when it was for sale... or maybe it still is. Anyhoo, there it is :D
http://www.coldwellbankermoves.com/C...71810000000000

Vidaloco 05-10-2008 01:03 PM

Wow that is a gorgous place !! I wonder how much room the horses have fenced off. You could always put up some additional electric/temporary areas for them to graze. I'll bet you could see the horses from the kitchen window.
I can see why property is so expensive in your area. You are close to major citys, NYC and Newark. It is much more rural here. New Jersey is beautiful though, I have been to the coast around Cape May and Atlantic City.