The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   running away (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/running-away-8770/)

go-g8td 05-09-2008 10:03 PM

running away

I'd like some advice on a new behavior that has turned up with my 12-year old gelding.

When I got him last October he was shy and would not come to people readily. I worked with him off and on over the winter and regularly when the weather got nicer. I was spending time with him daily until last Wednesday when another horse I was leading, spooked, knocked me down and stepped on my ankle/leg. I was on crutches for four days and to make a long story short, could not go work with my horse at all.

Now he won't come to people and is very hard to catch. I don't know his history prior to getting him. He was gotten at auction by the guy I bought him from and therefore no history is known.

Why do you think he is now keeping his distance from people? Any suggestions on what I can do to help get him over this?

Thanks!

Dumas'_Grrrl 05-09-2008 11:14 PM

treat bribery works some times. Just make sure he doesn't "mug" you for them.

My2Geldings 05-10-2008 12:55 AM

There are hundreds of reasons as to why he may be staying away from people. It would be impossible to even try to guess why in his case, he does it.

What I would say is spend a lot of one on one time with him. Build a bond and re-traine him its ok to be around people.

kickshaw 05-10-2008 08:55 AM

when i first bought boo - he was the same way. The first night I tried to bring him in to feed him, it took me 4 1/2 hours in a 50+ acre field.. :shock:

But, once I caught him, I gave him lots of cookies and scratched on him a little while - I didn't even take him out of the pasture to feed him - after he was done eating and looked a bit worried, I just let him go again.

The next day, he came running up to me :)

Just keep being patient and make every experience he has with you a positive one :) If he's in a pasture/herd situation, could it be the alpha horse that is driving him away from the gate or you? (not by chasing him, per say, just by giving him the "i'm going to eat you look"?)

It'll probably take some time, but keep at it and hang in there :)

americancowgurl31391 05-12-2008 10:41 PM

maybe the people before neglected him, therefore, he could think you're doing the same thing. Just be positive with him. He'll loosen back up

PoptartShop 05-12-2008 11:11 PM

Yeah, I agree with the above posts. ;) Also, spend some time grooming him...that's good for bonding.

love-a-hero 05-12-2008 11:32 PM

Hey Poptart you have a new photo! Sorry, just noticed hehe

Brandon 05-13-2008 09:27 AM

Ya I would make every experience he has with you a good one. When you catch him on your daily routine, don't always do work. Just catch him and pet him, groom him, brush him. etc. And then jsut turn him back out.. I would agree with everyone else, bondin time should help abit.

PoptartShop 05-13-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by love-a-hero
Hey Poptart you have a new photo! Sorry, just noticed hehe

haha yep!! lol

Candie 11-17-2013 09:27 PM

He doesn't want to go work! You gave him a mini vacation, so don't take it personally. With a dog you bond, with a horse, you show your the leader. That is earning respect.