The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Maintaining a Canter (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/maintaining-canter-87721/)

RideroftheWind 05-29-2011 09:54 AM

Maintaining a Canter

I recently started riding a different horse. She's a little black pony named Holiday, and she has a really bad reputation for kicking and biting people and other horses. So when I went to tack her up, I was a little nervous. But I quickly found that with a little love and gentle care, she's a real sweetheart.
She was great for riding too: no corner cuts, very responsive, very honest... except for one thing. She can't maintain a good canter without breaking stride. Unless my legs are death-grip tight around her at all times, she'll just go back into a trot.
It's not because she's stubborn (ok well maybe a little), she just doesn't like cantering. So as soon as I stop the leg pressure, she takes it as a go-ahead to stop cantering. She's still unsteady, as though she's unsure of whether or not she's allowed to trot. When I do have my leg on, she'll canter for me.
The problem is, I can't just squeeze her at all times. It makes my position all wonky, is uncomfortable for her, and makes her canter strides unsteady. My instructor suggested using a crop or spurs, but I'm not going to do that. When I'm riding with her, we have a sort of 'connection', and it's like we're working together instead of me just kicking her forwards. Crops and spurs will ruin that completely.
My goal is to be able to canter a full course of jumps with her without breaking stride and without having to squeeze her to death with my legs... but so far I'm not sure that's possible. Any ideas?

Oh, and she's a lesson horse, so I can't do any extra riding or lunging with her.

Thanks!

natisha 05-29-2011 10:15 AM

No 'connection' will be lost using a crop and/or spurs. It's not like you'd be beating or stabbing her. You may not even have to use them much after the first couple of times. Your legs will thank you & the pony probably will too.
Is there a reason you don't trust your instructor's judgement?

rosie1 05-29-2011 06:37 PM

Using a crop or spurs will absolutely not harm your relationship with your horse as long as you are using them correctly and not abusing her with them. They are aids and are only as harsh as the person who uses them same as everything else in the horse world. I would definitely carry a crop, then ask for the canter like you would on any other horse. When she picks it up release the pressure of your legs if she tries to break to trot give her a tap with the crop behind your leg to send her forward again. This horse needs to learn that cantering is like any other gait, you don't break gaits unless the rider says so
Posted via Mobile Device

marybonus 05-29-2011 06:59 PM

I am afraid I cannot help you much. I have been having the same problem with Yapa, the mare I ride. But, I do not dare carry a crop, since she has a tendency to get into a really fast, strong canter. I usually have to use my legs to control her speed. She goes from one extreme to the other, fast canter-trot. I am afraid that carrying a crop will make her even faster. Have not figured out what to do just yet. Still working on it. Any ideas will be welcome!

RideroftheWind 05-29-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1049682)
No 'connection' will be lost using a crop and/or spurs. It's not like you'd be beating or stabbing her. You may not even have to use them much after the first couple of times. Your legs will thank you & the pony probably will too.

If it were any other horse, I would probably agree with you. But Holiday is different. If you treat her like she's a stubborn horse, she'll be stubborn. But if you treat her like she's nice and sweet, she'll act nice and sweet. So if you use a crop with her, she'll just resist you.
I've worked so hard to gain her trust already, and I don't want to ruin it. I know that the moment I pick up that crop, it'll all be gone.
I do trust my instructor, but this time its different. See, I think that it is very important to understand the language of horses and always communicate with them both ways. If a horse tells me something, I listen. My instructor just sees Holiday as a lazy pony, but she doesn't share the connection that we have.
I guess you couldn't really understand it unless you were in my shoes, so you'll just have to trust me. I refuse to use a crop or spurs with her. But thanks for the reply, anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

upnover 05-29-2011 09:49 PM

The problem is that she doesn't have her own motor and doesn't know how to keep going. I assume people have all ridden her with a death grip with their legs and she now thinks that that is the cue to keep going, and now can't do it without. That's a terrible habit for a horse to learn as you've realized!

First of all, you need to understand how a crop/spurs work. When used properly they are very very effective in training a horse and improving communication between horse and rider. I very rarely get on a horse without on or the other, no matter how well trained or sensitive that horse is.

To fix it.... Not sure how dull she is to picking up the canter in the first place but make sure that she is tuned up to your aids. A crop or a spur is the best way to do it. Cue her for the canter, asking softly once (squeeze), ask her harder if she doesn't listen (kick) and smack her with a crop behind your leg if she still ignores you (or use your spur). Don't let there be too long of a pause between the 3 if you need to use all 3. Then as soon as she canters soften up your body and just canter. The second she drops the gait do the same thing, again using the squeeze, kick, spur method if she's dull to your aids. Make sure your legs are soft once she canters. As soon as she drops to a canter do it again. And again. And again. The key is NOT to tell her every single step to canter, but to correct her every time she breaks. Eventually she will learn to keep going until you tell her otherwise.

amymarie57 05-29-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1049682)

I completely agree. The horse I currently ride is the same way. He requires a crop AND puny rounded spurs but I when I wear them my cues are much lighter and he's more responsive. This way I don't have to strangle him with my legs. I use way less leg and I don't even have to use the crop. It's just there as a reminder to him. I also think he requires these artificial aids because he is ALWAYS ridden with them his entire life before I came along. I thought it'd be nice to try and work through it and go without the spurs. It worked for maintaining the canter on the flat but when we started jumping you just couldn't go without them. Every horse is different. If he needs them/is used to/requires the crop or even spurs that is okay. It doesn't make you a bad rider to use artificial aids

upnover 05-29-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amymarie57 (Post 1050397)
It doesn't make you a bad rider to use artificial aids

On the contrary I don't know a lot of upper level riders who get on a horse without!

RideroftheWind 05-29-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upnover (Post 1050430)
On the contrary I don't know a lot of upper level riders who get on a horse without!

Well I am an intermediate rider and I know how to effectively use a crop and spurs. But just because I know how doesn't mean I have to use them. I never thought artificial aids makes you a bad rider, I just prefer not to use them. Especially with this horse. I know I can't make you understand my point of view, I just want you to stop trying to convince me otherwise.
So I am asking you all to PLEASE respect that. I'm not looking for an argument. I just need some advice. If anyone has advice that doesn't involve crops and spurs, I'd love to hear it.

Spyder 05-30-2011 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RideroftheWind (Post 1049673)
Unless my legs are death-grip tight around her at all times, she'll just go back into a trot....................
So as soon as I stop the leg pressure, she takes it as a go-ahead to stop cantering...............The problem is, I can't just squeeze her at all times. It makes my position all wonky, is uncomfortable for her, and makes her canter strides unsteady.

Here is your problem.

As long as you DO a death grip you are in effect TEACHING her that this is her only cue to canter.

So when YOU relax the aids she FALLS out of the canter because the support she IS USED TO is no longer there. She has gotten used to YOU supporting her and now never developed the balance to hold it.

You need to teach her to respond to lighter aids.