The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   First very small jumping competition coming up (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/first-very-small-jumping-competition-coming-8778/)

southafrica1001 05-10-2008 03:54 AM

First very small jumping competition coming up

hey everyone
my first jumping competition is coming up, its only a very small one and only includes riders from the stables i ride at. the jumps are only 80cm or 70cm in the class im compiting in. i dont own a horse but i have put down names of two stable horses that i have jumped with before and feel comfortable jumping with. any one have any tips on calming nerves etc. :D its not a big thing at all lol but still i get really nervous lol. espically as my first dressage competition (very small aswell and i was still young then) didnt go to great :(

JustDressageIt 05-10-2008 12:18 PM

I've posted this a zillion times I think, but I swear it works:
The night before your show, sit down in a nice quiet room without distractions and imagine the show the next day... unloading your horse, you take a deep breath and smile. Then imagine yourself riding each course flawlessly, where you and your horse are in perfect harmony.
Once you're done riding through a few courses, let yourself come back to realirt and don't think negative thoughts about the show at all - if you think about the show, think back to the perfect rides you imagined.

southafrica1001 05-10-2008 12:36 PM

thanks ill remember that :D. i dont have high hopes of placing any where decent as there is much more experienced riders riding but still i think i can jump the height (dont want to be to confident lol)

PoptartShop 05-11-2008 09:08 PM

Wow, JDI- very good advice. :D That prolly works well, too. ;)
Good luck!

southafrica1001 05-12-2008 07:52 AM

yea thanks again JDI, i found out that i might not get my first choice in horse as he is now privatly owned but my second choice is fine, i know that if i do ride my second choice i will need to get her into a nice trot and not let her do her lazy trot lol :D

JustDressageIt 05-12-2008 11:53 AM

Best of luck!! Keep us posted on how it goes!

Lc Performance Horses 05-15-2008 07:24 PM

Bit of advise...this is relevant to all jumpers... what i do is get my horse warmed up well, walk the coarse...stand infront of the jump, stride out twice and thats the approximate landing spot, stride out four strides and thats about one horse stride, you can work out how many strides your horse will need between each jump. watch a couple of rounds, memorise the coarse, count other peoples strides whose horse is about your horses stride, pick out what they are doing right and wrong, after your horse is warmed up and its your turn to go in, switch off to what is around you and concentrate on you and your horse. take your time and go for a steady clear, as you go over a jump be looking fior your next jump, not below you nor anywhere else, this way you will not lose your way. Its better to go for a steady clear, a poss time fault, than rush it and have a jump or two down. Remember what you do at home, you can jump well at home and its no different in the ring. As you come to a verticle, do not kick your horse on as you will take the jump down or you can go through it, sit deep and relax, do not stay bent forwards as you will unbalance your horse. Allow your horse to look at each jump on approach, he will know what to do to jump it. And most of all, enjoy it, its fun not torture, dont bother what anyone else says, you do it the way you want to. Dont copy other peoples riding as you will confuse your horse. Also, before you go in, ear wig when people who have already jumped are talking about how they made a mistake or which is the best line if they went clear. Always aim at the centre of the jump, not to the left or right too much.
Good luck and enjoy it....if you show nerves, your horse will feel it.
:)

jody111 05-16-2008 04:48 AM

I swear by rescue remedy - Its a natural caling herb (I m pretty sure its a NZ thing but you probably have something similar

I also use positive visualisation too - And it really does help.....

You will probably find once you are on the horse you relax naturally - I know i do

southafrica1001 05-16-2008 04:53 AM

thanks :D yea ive heard of rescue remedy. I think that your right ill most prpbably calm down on the horse. thanks every one. compeition is tonight :D

edit : i only just saw your post Lc Performance Horses, and thanks for the great advice. i will keep all the stuff you said in mind thanks :D

Lc Performance Horses 05-16-2008 07:03 AM

No problem honey, good luck and let us know how you get on! :D