The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Maggots in wound! help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/maggots-wound-help-8789/)

HaflingerCowGirl 05-10-2008 08:51 PM

Maggots in wound! help!

Hey all,
i'm in need of some major advice. My Percherons fetlock has had a sore on it for a good while and i've put many different things on and even called the vet. nothing has helped and now there's maggots crawling around in it. My friend suggested bleach water to soak it in for 5 mins a day. any help would be sooooo great!!!! thanks

JustDressageIt 05-10-2008 10:30 PM

Clean it out! Goodness, a wound that bad need to be cleaned a few times a day! I would then take gauze and wrap the gauze on with vet wrap.
The most important thing now is to keep it clean and wrapped. I might suggest a shot of penicillin to make sure that any infection that might have set in is gone.
Personally I would not put any type of bleach on.. Ryle might be by this post to suggest a wash... I just want to tell you that if maggots are living in your horse's wound, it needs to be cleaned.. badly.

HaflingerCowGirl 05-10-2008 10:33 PM

Well Its more complicated then that. it has like funky lumps and the maggots are in between them were you can't get unless you use something small...and i was scrubbing it but it bled to bad.

appylover31803 05-10-2008 10:49 PM

i would suggest getting the Vet out that ASAP! See if there are any emergency vets around that could help you.

I agree with JDI that it really needs to be cleaned out, and that the gauze+ vet wrap should do good until seen by a vet.

JustDressageIt 05-11-2008 12:32 AM

In that case, GET A VET OUT AND GET THAT WOUND CLEAN. The fact that there are maggots in the horse's wound... that's not good. Get the vet to come and clean it up, maybe test the area for infection (if it's gotten maggots, who knows what else has happened, infection-wise).

FGRanch 05-11-2008 01:55 AM

I really hope Ryle comes into this post! I really want to hear her response to this one.

I've never even heard of maggots in a wound. Like everyone else says I recommend a vet for sure. Even if you can't get one out maybe get one on the phone that might be able to give you a solution.

I call my vet all the time just for an over the phone solution. Might be a good idea.

Maggots in a wound CANNOT be a good thing, they eat flesh right? That must be hard on your poor horse.

dreaming_luke 05-11-2008 02:54 AM

First off, if there are maggots there is some sort of dead tissue, and your vet should be looking at your horse now.

There are several ways of killing maggots on "live" animals, but you need to get rid of the "source" in order to keep them away! You can remove them using a mixture of 4 parts water and 1 part povidone iodine ("betadine")or household (3%) hydrogen peroxide. Keep the area clean and dry is crucial! Again,contact your vet as soon as possible.

There are two more products which also can be used. First, wash the area!! Should be washed well to help remove any maggots
that are alive. Use some MELALEUCA SHAMPOO for this job. It
will both help to dislodge maggots and maggot eggs. It will also promote healing of the skinand fur and help to take away the "itch". Taking away the irritation and itch on the animal is key to getting it
healed. Once it has been cleaned, apply some
WATER BASED PET SPRAY. This material has both Pyrethrin and
Permethrin as active ingredients. Pyrethrin will quickly kill off
any live maggots which were not removed during the bathing. the Permethrin will leave a 1-2 week residual on the skin and fur of the animal. This will kill off any maggots that hatch during this
time to prevent further infestations. Do not use an oil based spray. Oil will not only irritate the skin, it will prevent proper healing and only lead to more discomfort and problems. . Did I mention call your vet now??

sempre_cantando 05-11-2008 08:37 AM

When my horse had a bad wound, I went and bought some blue aerosol stuff that you can spray in wounds to treat and/or prevent fly strike. I don't remember what it was called but go in to a local agricultural store or even saddlery and see what they suggest.

DGW1949 05-11-2008 12:30 PM

To start with, you need to understand what you are dealing with....

Magots are the result of flies laying eggs in that open wound.
Magots don't lay eggs but another fly surely will. So your first order of business is to kill/remove the ones that are there, clean/disinfect the wound and apply a dressing/bandage.

As for getting rid of the one's that's there..... this is one time that you'll have to get fairly agressive in your proceedures. Pull 'em out, wash 'em out, or whatever else you have to do....but get them out of there.
We allready know that the wound contains dead flesh and that it bleeds easily.... so what the heck, scrape them things out of there. It won't hurt a thing, if it bleeds during the proccess. Matter of fact, it may prove somewhat beneficial.
Then dump on plenty of Peroxide because it's bubbling-action will get out dirt, maggot-parts and other stuff that a simple "washing" won't get out. You might even do that twice.
Once you are satisfied that it's clean in there, remove as much of the dead flesh as you can, rince it out well, pour-on some Betadine, smear-in some 3-in-1 and apply a dressing. Then wrap it with a bandage.

You'll need to do at least most of all that 3X a day.

A full dose of Ivermicin(sp?) wormer wouldn't hurt nothing either.

Any/all the above is assuming that you can't get a Vet to come out in a reasonable amount of time. Because, IMO, calling a Vet is the first thing you should do.

Did anyone mention to call a Vet?

DGW

HaflingerCowGirl 05-11-2008 01:03 PM

I was putting bluekote on it to keep the flys out but she got the maggots anyways. The powder stuff the vet gave me did nothing and he said there was no need to give her a shot. I just wormed them last month some time with ivermectin. I'm going to call a diferent vet this time and clean it out really well....sadly I get sick easily with this kind of thing so i will get someone to assist me. is the wrapping really a good thing? I was told not to do that because it won't let it dry out.