The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   Drama on the farm- enough for the year!! (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/drama-farm-enough-year-87935/)

LetAGrlShowU 05-31-2011 12:14 PM

Drama on the farm- enough for the year!!

So at some point, laziness becomes neglect. This is just a rant, but I have had enough drama over this past weekend for the year ::knock on wood::

I live on 6 acres of a 19 acre property. I lease a stall and share the pasture with our 1 neighbor. I have 1 horse, they have 9 goats and a gelding. Sine we moved in last September i have been horrified by their laziness.

When their goats get their horns stuck inthe fence and scream, my husband or i go out to free them. When their goat gave birth to 3 babies this past winter, we found them, one dead, and brought the others inside to warm them. When we told them we took the other 2 in, they made a warm area inthe barn for them until the temps warmed up.

Their horse doesnt get shots, i havent seen a coggins test results, etc. They never blanket in the winter, they stopped feeding hay once spring came, and they are always out of feed. Plus i take care of btoh horses, and they only feed their goats once a week.

So heres my gripe is this past weekend I ended up saving 2 of their animals:

Their goat stuck its head in their horses feed bucket at dinner and then lited its head, getting it stuck around its neck and being chased by the horse. I ran around for 35 minutes until my hubby came out to assist. The goat ended up tripping and getting stuck head first in the bucket until he was freed. Then when i was riding yesterday and letting some friends ride, i put their horse in their 2nd pasture with goat fencing (with the squares) Well, he didnt like being separated, and stuck his leg trough the hole, getting it caught. He ended up getting his nose caught on the fencing making it bleed a little, and thankfully he trusts me and my hubby and I were able to cut the fence to get his leg out. But it could have ended very differently.

So When does laziness become neglect?? I'm tired of taking care of their animals. I had my friend knock on their door bc we didnt think we had wire cutter and when she answer she saw us free his leg, and just said "ok it looks like they got him out" that was it. Didnt check on him, nothing.

Of course my horse got his leg stuck on the autowaterer hose this weekend also, but that was just a dumb move, which i got him loose with no problems. It wasnt even around his leg, just stuck on the bottom of his hoof.

I'm frustrated with poor ownership.

Speed Racer 05-31-2011 01:21 PM

I understand your frustration, but these aren't your animals and you're just rewarding the owners' neglect by taking care of their animals for them.

However, a few of your points are just differences of opinions and not necessarily neglect or laziness.

Some people don't give vaccinations, nor do they have coggins pulled. Also, as long as there's pasture, many animals aren't fed hay or even grain during the summer months. If they're maintaining a good weight, they don't need the extra calories.

If a horse isn't leaving the property, why have a coggins test? I have a 25 y/o horse who hasn't had a coggins in years. He's been retired since he was 20, so I don't see a need to have one pulled. The two riding horses have them though, because they frequently go out in public.

Vaccinations aren't mandatory, but they are recommended. Some folks just don't want to spend the money. I personally think it's foolish not to vaccinate, but I can't force others to think like I do.

Bottom line, these aren't your animals and you need to stop caring for them as if they are. If they're underweight and being neglected, call AC.

Otherwise, you're going to have to learn to turn a blind eye. Easier said than done of course, but for your own sanity you're going to have to.

LetAGrlShowU 05-31-2011 01:45 PM

So in the example of her gelding getting caught on the fence.. just leave him there? In the event they arent going to feed their horse, just bring him into his stall and leave him bthere to hear my gelding chomp away at his food? I dont leave him out to pasture because they go crazy without eachother. Thats one reason i feed them at the same time, to avoid any fights. My horse is low on the pecking order, so i cant leave him in the pasture to eat while the other horse pushes him out of his space.
As for the goats... i just have a kind heart. I cant stand to think how long the goat would be stuck for if we didnt set him free. Your right about difference of opinion, and I will reconsider my beliefs on that being neglectful.
I simply was taught an entirely different manner of caring for horses, or any animal.
I guess eventually the horse would have kicked the goat that stole its feed and it would have been out cold so he could have pulled the bucket off his head, or maybe it could have ended in disaster. Who knows. Same with the horses leg through the fence... The fence was digging into his chest,into his knee, and stuck on his hoof. I probably could have ignored it. But he was fighting hard to get it out at first, until i walked up to him and reassured him. Then he relaxed and let us help him. But what if nobody was outside? He could have been seriously injured. I cant let that happen to any animal because of a humans stupidity. My quote to my hubby is "The horse didnt chose to have a stupid owner" and i cant sit idly by andc watch an animal get inured if i can prevent it. Thats part of what makes me such an animal lover.

mls 05-31-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetAGrlShowU (Post 1052034)
I'm frustrated with poor ownership.

How is it their poor ownership on their part when you moved their horse so your friends could ride?

LetAGrlShowU 05-31-2011 01:48 PM

Also, this is more than about their horses. They have 6 dogs, all outdoor dogs. They are always roaming looking for food, they drink out of a stagnant pond, the sheriff has been to the house 4 times because 2of their dogs repeatedly attack a neighbors fenced dogs. It just saddens me because they see nothing wrong. When we first moved in one goat was very ill, neighbor told me he was just waiting for him to die. When theyre horse was consistently drooling, they were concerned, but ont enough to call the vet out. Thank goodness i was able to tell them it was a weed the horse was eating, but what if it hadnt been?

Speed Racer 05-31-2011 01:58 PM

I'm just saying that you running yourself ragged over someone else's animals isn't good for you.

You're not obligated to care for them, and you can't make people be responsible. Sure, it's frustrating and I understand where you're coming from, but these animals unfortunately lost the good owner lottery.

If AC or the sheriff won't do anything, maybe it's time you and hubby found a better situation for yourselves and your animals, especially considering the neighbors' potentially dangerous dog pack.

LetAGrlShowU 05-31-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1052113)
How is it their poor ownership on their part when you moved their horse so your friends could ride?

They have 2 pastures. Their horse is always "right ontop of you" if you ride inthe pasture with him there. I even separate them to eat in different pastures, since hes on crap feed and fescue and my gelding eats well. I wont be doing it again in fear he'll get caught. But this is nothing new. Poor ownership comes in to play when they dont even check on their horse. I was tryign to determine if he was cut anywhere besides his lip. I was chaising their goat so their horse could eat. My horse was separated and eating fine, i just didnt want to be neglectful by assuming the position "its not my horse or goat" but i will reconsider it. It sounds like thats what everyone is suggesting.

LetAGrlShowU 05-31-2011 02:16 PM

Well it doesnt affect my horse or our living situation. We rent a beautiful home from them. Along with a stall and full use of their pastures. I love my home, and i love having my horse at home. Their dogs dont dislike horses so its not a black/white situation. It may be something as simple as not caring for their animals and just taking care of mine. I just feel bad that they arent fed or cared for. Theyve never bathed their horse and then they complain that he has no ground manners and they cant believe how well behaved my gelding is. They also cant believe that their non trained horse doesnt ride, he tends to rear or go backwards. lol.
Like I said, this was a rant. I do dislike irresponsibility but like you all have pointed out, its not my fight. I dont know if the sheriffs office or animal control has ever been called on the farm animals- simply because we're not visible from the road.
I can easily solve this problem by taking the horses into their stalls at night. I was feeding, and taking them in every ngiht and in turn the neighbors would walk them to the pasture every morning. When spring hit, i was told its too hot to walk from the barn to their pasture. So then we started feeding in the pasture, but i separate them knowing that neither can eat eachothers food. I dont care if they share hay. But now it seems like ill just have to tell them to take the horses out in the morning. It will resolve most problems. And for riding, i'll move my 70 lb mounting block and jsut ride around the house if i have to. I'd never do anything to cause inury to an animal

amymarie57 05-31-2011 02:35 PM

I would feel obligated to save these animals out of guilt too. If I saw an animal caught in a fence I definitely would atleast try to save it whether it was mine or not. But as for the extra help that they don't seem to appreciate, I don't know what to say :-/. In some eyes this is neglectful but in some parts this is typical. Everyone has their own idea of standards. To them, just having grass and water might be enough to care for their horse. It is frustrating to see this since many of us spoil our horses as much as we can. I can understand why you'd want to be a hero to all these animals to make up for the attention or better care that they deserve. You'll just have to detach yourself and accept that you can't change how they care for their pets. You're probably the best thing that has happend for these animals but don't work yourself up over it or feel sorry for them. As long as they have the basics they'll be fine.

Doing a little kindness here and there (without taking full responsibility) will be a greatly appreciated by the animals.

Beauseant 05-31-2011 03:32 PM

have you talked with them about your concerns?