The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Scoring body condition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/scoring-body-condition-87943/)

Crossover 05-31-2011 01:25 PM

Scoring body condition

3 Attachment(s)
So after seeing another couple of horses in poor condition and the owner blissfully thinking they are just fine I thought I'd like to make a website with body scores I could send them. I've seen a couple but they usually only have a couple and don't take into consideration various breeds and/ or horses of differnt disceplines.
Would anyone here be willing to send photos of horses in all types of condition so that I could use them. I'm a visual learner and I need photos. I could probably get scores 3- 6 from my own albums but would be pressed to find any others.
In case your wondering this is what my scoring methods look like, the first I'd score the bucksin 5 the bay 6. The next is 3 (the winter coat makes her look 4, she's back to a 5 now) and the one after that 7.

manca 05-31-2011 04:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'd like to learn this too...
See this is my mare. She is a hard keeper and I have a lot of problems with keeping her weight on. Score her, please.
I know there was a thread (or a link) somewhere that explaines this. Do you maybe know where it is?

Attachment 65339

Attachment 65340

Gidget 05-31-2011 04:29 PM

Oh! I went to a clinic and it was teaching about body scoring. You go from 1-10...one is extremely emanciated and 10 is morbidly obese.
5 is what they consider ideal...the a layer of fat that covers the ribs slightly.

Your horse,Manca,would probably be at a score of 4. She is a TB,right? She has some fat on her but still a tiny bit thin. Nothing that is alarming in my opinion.

let me get examples..be right back

Gidget 05-31-2011 04:32 PM

here is a great website..and I messed up it's a score or 1-9 for body condition

Henneke Body Scoring - Habitat for Horses - Equine Protection Organization - Horse Rescue, Rehabilitation, Horse Education and Adoptions

equiniphile 05-31-2011 05:31 PM

Uh-oh. Anyone wanna have a stab at Miss Lenox? She came to us even fatter, if you can imagine that, but has since been on a regimented feeding and training schedule ;-)

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/r...x/IMG_0831.jpg

MyBoyPuck 05-31-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manca (Post 1052269)
See this is my mare. She is a hard keeper and I have a lot of problems with keeping her weight on. Score her, please.
I know there was a thread (or a link) somewhere that explaines this. Do you maybe know where it is?

Manca, your girl is the spitting image of my TB. Same thing, ribby no matter how much food I stuff in his face. He's got plenty of muscle on him, but I sure wish I could get another 100 pounds on him. Yes, she's a 4. With hard keepers, just take what you can get!!

Crossover 05-31-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manca (Post 1052269)

I'm going to agree with the others and say she's a four. She has a nice coat though. I have a TB mare I'd put as a three (not the one I posted earlier) who I cannot get to gain weight, but has a glossy coat with dapples. :? I'm changing the diet a bit to see if I can find another way to get those pounds on her.

equiniphile - I'm going to go with a fitter 7, somewhat fleshy but I can see the toning going on. She has Percheron in her right? I like her.

Gidget 05-31-2011 07:02 PM

Equiniphile, your girl would be at a 7. She is pretty fleshy. Has a good size crest.Her girth area looks like there may be some fat that she could lose. Our mustang is about a 6.5 ..she is still overweight but so much fatter when we got her.

manca 06-01-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Your horse,Manca,would probably be at a score of 4. She is a TB,right? She has some fat on her but still a tiny bit thin. Nothing that is alarming in my opinion.
She's not a TB :P She is a holsteiner, but one of her grandfathers was a TB. I guess she is a lot like him :)
I'm changing her diet every half a year, just to see if this new thing will help. Well, she's been worse, so I'm ok with her current weight. We're working on her muscles now (especially topline bothers me), but this too, is going to take a lot of time...

Thanks for the link :)

Gidget 06-01-2011 03:34 PM

No problem :)

We had a AP QH that was more TB than QH..he was a hard keeper but not super hard.