The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Have a go at Froggy. Full Critique please! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/have-go-froggy-full-critique-please-87992/)

corinowalk 06-01-2011 01:21 AM

Have a go at Froggy. Full Critique please!

5 Attachment(s)
So I have had the Frog for about 5 months now and we are finally at a weight where I don't mind posting his pictures publicly. I know he is a train wreck. *laugh* I would just love to hear other peoples opinions on his flaws and what his strong points are. Also, judging strictly from conformation, what would you do with him?

Background:

Froggy is an 11 year old OTTB. Last raced in 09. Sound as a pound, never a lame step. He is currently receiving an 'upgrade' in owners. He was a bit underweight when I got him and through the wonder of nutrition and the addition of good grass and hay, he has rebounded nicely. I feel he still needs another 50-100#. He is currently being ridden twice a week, rarely to a sweat. So, without further ado, critique Froggy

The Bum. Pennsylvania hills do wonders for the Booty.
Attachment 65384

His chest
Attachment 65385

Standing like a goofball
Attachment 65386

Standing square in the freaking grass.
Attachment 65387

Standing mostly square but slightly downhill.
Attachment 65388

So have at it. Please don't hold back, I know he isn't a dynamo...lol

flytobecat 06-01-2011 01:27 AM

Wow, Cori.
He must have been really under weight when you got him, but I'm sure you will have him fat and chubby in no time -LOL
We've had our Arab a year and he is finally starting to put on weight.
He has a very sweet face.

flytobecat 06-01-2011 01:43 AM

Also wanted to add that I bet he fills out nicely once he gets some more muscle. He does have a nice bum.

~*~anebel~*~ 06-01-2011 01:50 AM

To me he looks a bit posty behind, over at the knee and upright pasterns. Would like to see that poor neck muscled up but he is looking well muscled in the hind and topline for being malnourished.
I don't think he'll ever be able to jump but judging from the pictures he looks very sweet and with more muscling and condition will make a nice looking all rounder.
I actually like him and as long as he stays sound and isn't over ridden I think he'll stay nice!
Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

corinowalk 06-01-2011 01:53 AM

Thanks guys! He is just my trail riding buddy...I don't jump fences when I can just as easily go around. We are working on the neck but it is going to be hard going.

tinyliny 06-01-2011 01:58 AM

I like his hindend a lot, both from the side and rear view. I don't feel he is posty, but he is over at the knee. However, a lot of thbds are and it doesn't hurt them at all. His neck is the only thing I feel is "incorrect", meaning set on too low and under muscled, but will look good soon. He seems to have a lot of personality, and who wouldn't , what with the name, "Froggie"!

corinowalk 06-01-2011 02:01 AM

Oh yes. My boy is chock full o' personality. The neck is hard going because he is a typical (from what I hear anyways) OTTB...he braces on that bit like it is his only job. When he isn't bracing the bit or being 'dropped on his face' by me, he is just being a dork with his head as high as he can get it. *sigh* I would gladly listen to any suggestions on how to get him to knock that crap off.

bubba13 06-01-2011 02:06 AM

Appears to be somewhat bench-kneed in front. Perhaps toed-out/cowhocked a little behind. I like the height of his hocks but I'm not so sure about their structure, though I don't think he is post-legged. I suspect the "apparent" angulation problems stems higher up in the angles of his hip and stifle. I like his depth of heartgirth and length of back. Croup could be a little straighter for my taste, but it's by no means terrible. Needs a lot of muscling still along the back, as you said. Nice shoulder. In a few of the photos he looks buck-kneed, but in another he looks straight, so I'll attribute that to stance. Withers are high but strong, and then there's that unfortunate, pencil-thin ewe neck. He has an endearing head, but probably not one that would win him any beauty awards....

Faceman 06-01-2011 07:15 AM

I think TB's, more than any other breed, tend to look squirrelly when they are underweight - probably due to their necks and withers.

I don't see any glaring structural faults, perhaps a bit posty in the rear and may toe out a bit. The neck is what it is - you can build it up some, but only to a certain point. As long as his feet are sound, he should make a decent easy trail horse - not built for mountainous work, but should do OK on moderate trails. His overall aesthetic apearance will improve a lot with some muscle weight on him...

Alwaysbehind 06-01-2011 07:33 AM

I say any TB that can stay sound racing until they are 9 has something going for him.

His conformation looks different in every photo. He does have a nice shoulder. I like his back end. He does look over at the knee, but like has been said, that is pretty common in TBs.
His back needs muscling but that should come along with work.

And then there is his neck. Poor boy. Now that he has put some weight on his neck looks even more out of place.