The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Moo Cow --- prospect buy? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/moo-cow-prospect-buy-88050/)

Endiku 06-01-2011 06:00 PM

Moo Cow --- prospect buy?

We're looking for a replacement horse for our riding program because we will be retiring our 28 year old mare, Pudding this fall due to joint problems. And ofcourse...they put me in charge of finding/testing prospects xD We live in the Houston area and are willing to look withink 5 hours of the farm, so with that in mind- I've only found one that Im really interested in, but I figured I'd post him for you guys to give me your two cents on!
We basically need an easy feeder who doesn't have issues with other horses (as we group pasture ours) outdoors, 24-7. The horse or pony needs to be able to work 3-4 hours a day in lessons, twice a week- and participate (we don't need a show-quality animal, just one who's willing to handle a rodeo atmosphere, as our intermediate riders participate in local rodeo events once to twice per year just for the experience) The horse will be used for intermediate and advanced beginner (capable of holding a controlled trot.) and possible advanced riders IF we feel that the horse is ready and willing.
This is the first guy that caught my eye. His name is Moo Cow(haha) and he's six years old. He is listed in two places.
http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1684393

http://www.valleyviewranch.net/horses.htm
(this one has MANY pictures of him, as well as a VERY nice video showing all of his points)

From what I see he's a nice all-around little guy with fairly good mileage. Seems easy to please (which is a key thing) and kid friendly. Very cute and well mannered. He seems quite on his forehand in parts of the video and tends to move his head which worries me, but I'm thinking it has a LOT to do with his bit and his rider (she has very heavy hands and I dont like the way she rides at all.) I'd have to judge that when I met him. As far as conformation, he's definately no stunner and the pictures arent great for conformation, but he looks solid with very pony-ish, stout build. The only thing that would worry me is his weight, as he has to be atleast a hundred pounds overweight. Seeing as how I don't have a mount right now though, I could easily work with him over the summer and early fall to get him in shape for the kids. Just looks like he needs a job! He's right in our price range and the owners are willing to lower him to $2,000 for us if she thinks we're suitable owners. I really like how well they presented him and I'm definately willing to check him out.

So what do you guys think? Yay or Nay? See anything that I'm not seeing? let me know! thanks

maura 06-01-2011 06:09 PM

I really like him, and think it's a decent price for a well broke 6 year old.

I'd take him in my barn in a minute.

myhorsesonador 06-01-2011 06:12 PM

can I have him when your done? :)

Wallaby 06-01-2011 06:15 PM

I really like him as well. He looks like a really trusty pony which is always great to have around kids! If I had money and I was in the market for a new lesson pony, I think I'd snatch him up.

I think he's uncomfortable with his bit (or just how much contact they have with it) but if that's how quiet he is about things that are highly displeasing to him that's all the more reason to love him! haha

And his weight says that he is a really really easy keeper! :lol:

The one thing that I'm not sure about is that they didn't show him walking hardly at all, if at all, in that video. He appears to be well trained enough that I'd assume he's probably fine with walking (doesn't get antsy to go faster, head tossing to go faster, etc) but that's something you'll probably want to check out when you look at him.

smrobs 06-01-2011 06:44 PM

Wow, he is quite the...ahem...sturdy looking fellow, isn't he? LOL.

I like him quite a bit too, he seems like a very nice, eager to please type of guy. I'm willing to bet that his issues with his mouth are stemming from the bit itself (double jointed gag that may or may not be twisted, I can't tell) and the fact that the reins are so short, his rider is unable to give him a good release even if they knew he needed it.

Eolith 06-01-2011 06:47 PM

Actually, there are several horses being sold by that owner/facility that sound like well-broke and beginner friendly horses. I'm not sure what the budget is though... Moo Cow is one of the lowest priced in the bunch.

Moonstruck 06-01-2011 06:58 PM

He is so CUTE! And CHUNKY! :3 A good weight loss program is all he needs but he's adorable.

Raidress 06-01-2011 10:59 PM

Oh he's a fatty! A super CUTE CHUNK HE IS!! I'd say he'd be smart looking pony when he's trimmed up, and sure seems to be a good worker.

Wild Heart 06-02-2011 12:10 AM

I personally like him a lot. He has a very sturdy build and of course some weight he could lose but I think he is definitely worth checking out. Looks very attentive even though something about the bit was bugging him and judging by the owners description seems like the perfect lesson horse.

MudPaint 06-02-2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eolith (Post 1053636)
Actually, there are several horses being sold by that owner/facility that sound like well-broke and beginner friendly horses. I'm not sure what the budget is though... Moo Cow is one of the lowest priced in the bunch.

Yea I was surprised on the low price considering where he's coming from.
Ediku- I don't know if you have dealt with this operation before, but she's a very good seller. I work with a dealer who buys a lot of green horses from her (long way to go for green horses IMO). They are way broke and all have a good head on them. From his experiences, she's a very honest seller too. I'd snatch him up, he's super cute and looks like what you're looking for.