The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is it normal for a foal to have runny stool? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/normal-foal-have-runny-stool-88078/)

tanya 06-01-2011 10:04 PM

Is it normal for a foal to have runny stool?

Our foal is a little over 1 month old now. Yesterday we noticed he had a runny stool. Is that normal since he is still on milk?

DutchFeather 06-02-2011 07:22 AM

Your mare is most likely coming into season, or is in season. This can sour the mare's milk and cause the foal to get some runny stools. Mares usually come into heat 7 days after foaling, and then go back into the normal monthly heat cycle. If it persists for an extended period of time, have a vet out. But it happens with our foals as well and goes away when the mare comes out of season.

candandy49 06-02-2011 09:37 AM

Yes it is very normal for a foal to get diarrhea when it's dam goes into what is called foal heat or estrus. What we did each time my mare foaled and her baby got the diarrhea we cleaned each one's hind parts under ther tails with warm soapy water and rinsed with warm clean clear water. Then we covered the diarrhea scalded area with YUP, Desitin Diaper Rash ointment.

mls 06-02-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchFeather (Post 1054079)
Your mare is most likely coming into season, or is in season. This can sour the mare's milk and cause the foal to get some runny stools. Mares usually come into heat 7 days after foaling, and then go back into the normal monthly heat cycle. If it persists for an extended period of time, have a vet out. But it happens with our foals as well and goes away when the mare comes out of season.

The milk does not sour!

Foal Scours:* A Normal Rite Of Passage

tanya 06-02-2011 01:42 PM

Thanks for the feed back. I was reading up on the foal heat and scours and it says it happens between 7-10 days, but little Charlie is over a month now. We took him out for a few minutes the other day and thats when we saw him poop we have never seen him go before that. It came out looking like regular poo bright green full of hay and a bit loose than the tail end of it was really watery. He is eating, drinking, and full of energy so I think he is fine. When do you worm them for the first time?

DutchFeather 06-02-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1054313)

Clearly we should believe everything we read on the internet, rather than learning through hands on experience and advice from veterinarians.

mls 06-02-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchFeather (Post 1054356)
Clearly we should believe everything we read on the internet, rather than learning through hands on experience and advice from veterinarians.

We raise foals every year.

I am a vet tech.

The article is a reference.

SERIOUSLY - sour the milk? The foal wouldn't nurse.