The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Irish Draught X (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/irish-draught-x-8819/)

rolf4life 05-11-2008 04:55 PM

Irish Draught X

Hey guys, I've recently come across a horse that has tweaked my interest thats an irish draught cross with a TB. I want to take a look at him but lives 2 hours away from me.
I do dressage and I was wondering what you guys thought of this guy? He's 3 and is 16hh apparently has a great temprament. I havent encountered this breed, I tried to do some reading but it says that they are mainly used in plowing/pulling stuff. Does anyone have any further information? Do you think he has any dressage potential from you guys can see?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_07_fY9vg
(A video of him)

rolf4life 05-11-2008 04:57 PM

PS the rider isnt that great from what I can see, but he looks like he's trying to give in even though her hands are bouncing around left right and center when shes doing sitting trot especially.

Sara 05-12-2008 10:22 AM

Mmm, the description says he's a tb/belgian cross?

He might have potential, but he looks incredibly long in the back and unconnected in that video. I think Rolf is right in that the rider isn't really doing him any favors, but he looks like a hard horse to ride regardless. Not that he's fractious or anything, but its hard to hold a horse like that together, if that makes sense.

kickshaw 05-12-2008 10:31 AM

I would say no to dressage potential - he is very long in the back, as Sara said, and his neck is quite thick. He could probably perform the lower level movements, but his body would have to work extra hard to compensate for his conformation - he is cute though, and well behaved for a 3 yo

PoptartShop 05-12-2008 10:33 AM

He looks a bit difficult to control...but then again, the rider isn't too good. ;) I don't think he has dressage potential either.
Really cute! :)

JustDressageIt 05-12-2008 11:07 AM

The description said "TB/Belgian cross" not Irish Draught. I personally love Irish Draughts, but not for dressage - they do mix really well with a finer-boned breed like the TB, and that cross is called an Irish Sport Horse, and they do very well in dressage and jumping.
I can not see this TB/Belgian cross being very good at collection. I believe ANY horse can do the lower levels, so he would be able to, but wouldn't be able to do any of the higher-end stuff, he's just not conformationally correct to do that.

My2Geldings 05-13-2008 05:34 PM

Re: Irish Draught X

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolf4life
Hey guys, I've recently come across a horse that has tweaked my interest thats an irish draught cross with a tb. I want to take a look at him but lives 2 hours away from me.
I do dressage and I was wondering what you guys thought of this guy? He's 3 and is 16hh apparently has a great temprament. I havent encountered this breed, I tried to do some reading but it says that they are mainly used in plowing/pulling stuff. Does anyone have any further information? Do you think he has any dressage potential from you guys can see?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_07_fY9vg
(A video of him)

There are few Irish draught * TB crosses here. I would never get one. The ones I have met were all quite tempermental and difficult to ride. One of them was actually very dangerous as he would go thru some quite severe temper tantrums. Took regular training from experienced trainers to keep him on track. Nothing but difficult rides.

rolf4life 05-14-2008 11:10 AM

oh my, ok so definetly a no no for that one.
The last horse I looked into buying had an awesome temprament in hand that is and I climbed on his back and he bucked/reared me off within a few strides ran to the end of the arena ran through the closed gate and broke it open, then ran around the back of the stable cantering. He came back and slipped on some piping and fell on his left quarter at a canter! (he could have broken his leg) and still kept on going!!! It was aweful and a such a big disappointment, he almost seemed perfect.
I am having absolutly no luck finding a horse right now. I'm getting somewhat impatient, and maybe a little desperate :(. Nova Scotia is not a good place. I was thinking about bringing one in from alberta but the costs to get him/her here as well as the prices of the horses there arent that cheap.

rolf4life 05-14-2008 11:27 AM

oh woa sorry huge typo btw
you guys are right: Belgian/Tb cross

FoxyRoxy1507 07-16-2008 03:41 PM

You may be getting impatient, but trust me if you wait you will find the perfect horse for you. It took me 3yrs to find mine but that was bc i got impatient too and bought a horse they told me was broke and she seemed broke and ended up being crazy. I now have my boy i've had for 3yrs and it was all worth the wait! So just hang in there.